CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Bianca focused her attention on trying not to step on the foot of the gentleman who danced with her, even if she nearly failed at doing it for her mind was stuck on Race. She felt him watching her from across the room, and once the dance was over and she returned to his side, she hoped he would ask her for a dance. But he didn't. He instead stood by while yet another gentleman whisked her off to the dancefloor.

At first she thought nothing of Race's reluctance to dance with her, but the second she spotted him with her sister making their way to the dancefloor, anger immediately flooded her mind, causing her to miss a step and smash her heel on the toe of the poor lord.

“Forgive me, my lord.” She offered a half-hearted apology, not bothering to pay attention to his response as her eyes drifted to her sister who was now shamelessly flirting with Race.

She had fully decided to walk up to the couple and give them a piece of her mind, when they pulled away from each other, and hand-in-hand, made their way out of the ballroom.

Visibly furious, she turned from her dance partner and began making her way away from the dancefloor. Perhaps it would be best to catch the two red handed? If they thought they could make a fool of her, she would be the one to shame them. She would make known their act to society and—

Her thoughts were brought to an abrupt end, when she bumped into a large figure. Hissing in pain, she pressed her hand to her forehead.

“Be careful, my lady.” Strong hands took a hold of her shoulders.

“Forgive me.” She removed her hand from her forehead and glanced up at the figure. He was slightly familiar, but she didn't recognize him. His brown eyes sparkled with... Mischief? She wasn't sure what she saw in them, but they caused a cold chill to race down her spine, and his hold on her shoulders oddly filled her with fear.

She took a step back in a bid to get away from him.

“Do not think too much about it, it is you I must be concerned about. Perhaps I must get you a glass of wine?”

She shook her head, remembering her mission. “I must decline. Thank you, my lord.”

“Please, call me Anthony.”

“I must be excused now.”

This time making certain not to bump into any more people, Bianca manoeuvered her way through the ball room and to the hallway, failing to spot Race or her sister. What had she been thinking, that she would come out minutes later to find them lurking in the hallway? Surely they found a room for themselves.

Briefly, she considered storming out of the building and taking the carriage home. But she needed to confront them! She needed to look in the eyes of her lying husband, who, only a few hours ago, tried to seduce her. Perhaps he would seduce her sister tonight, due to her rejection?

She went through the halls in search of them, failing to find anything. She had decided to give up, when she heard voices drifting from a closed door.

She neared the door, and pressed her ear to it.

“I asked you to marry me, I sent a marriage certificate.” Race's voice drifted to her. He sounded upset.

“Bianca never told me of your plans. She took the certificate and journeyed to Bath where she seduced you, and forced you to marry her.”

Bianca shrunk back at her sister's lies. Carla would accuse her of seducing Race?! It was Carla who deceived her into journeying to Bath, and it was Race who seduced her!

Silence followed Carla's words, and Bianca considered leaving. Perhaps her lying sister and unfaithful husband deserved each other.

“Would you have married me if you had seen the certificate?” Race broke the silence.