chapter eight

ISAAC'S eyes slowly opened to a completely dark room. He groaned under his breath as he looked over at the flip clock beside his bed to find that it was 5:03 AM. He didn't see his glasses on the side table, making his vision blurry as he stared at the ceiling.

He knew exactly what he did last night. He could feel the warmth of her naked body against his. Her blonde locks were a mess around his chest as Lainey rested her head on him and slept soundly.

"Damn it," he whispered, slowly slinking out from beneath Lainey to stand up.

He flipped a dim lamp on to poorly illuminate the room as he searched the floor for his clothes. He slipped his boxers on, before he stopped to stare at Lainey. She was sleeping beneath the covers, her hair strewn wildly across the pillow.

It was insane to think about how she was just a quiet student in his class a month before. Now, she was sound asleep in his bed - in the bed he shared with his girlfriend, Amelia. He felt sick to his stomach. What had he done?

He prayed that he had worn a condom. He couldn't remember if he did or not, but the thought of Lainey getting pregnant made him physically ill.

He tried to move quietly, but he slammed his hip against the corner of his dresser trying to navigate around the room without his glasses, which made a loud noise as the dresser hit against the wall.

"Ah, fuck," he said, gritting his teeth.

"Good morning, Mr. Walker," Lainey suddenly said, her voice groggy. Isaac watched as she sat up in the bed and pushed her hair out of her eyes. She gave him a smile, and he swallowed hard, before looking at the floor.

"Good morning," he said in a mumble. He was disgusted with himself.

He couldn't see well, but he watched as she slowly got out of the bed. He looked away from her, trying to avoid seeing her bare body as he felt her get closer to him.

"Looking for these?" she whispered as she slipped his glasses over his eyes and cleared his vision of her standing directly in front of him.

He closed his eyes and looked away again. He huffed as he looked around the room again. "You- you should put some clothes on," he said nervously.

"Why?" she asked. "It's nothing you haven't seen already," she giggled as she wrapped her arms around him and pecked his lips.

He pulled away from her, backing against the wall. "Lainey, please just put clothes on," he begged.

He moved to the side to collect her nightgown from the ground as he handed it to her.

"What's wrong?" Lainey pouted up at him, taking the gown in her hands and sliding it back over her body.

"I- it wasn't, it wasn't good, what happened last night," he said, not knowing how else to put it.

Lainey slid her hands down the slope of his neck and to his shoulders, her large eyes peering up at him with confusion swirling through them. "You enjoyed it while it was happening."

"Yes, I- I know, but," he swallowed and looked away from her. "I have a girlfriend, Lainey."

"She doesn't have to know," Lainey said, before she gently felt his shoulders. "When was the last time you had a night like that with her?"

Isaac stared at her glittering eyes. "That's not the point," he said.

"Well, what's the point? Because I'm missing it," she said, and Isaac could tell she was beginning to grow offended.

"You- you're beautiful, Lainey. Trust me, you're stunning. But you're my student..." he almost vomited at the sound of those words. "It's not good. You know that, it's not good."