chapter nine

LATER that night, Isaac sat on his bed with his head in his hands. He couldn't believe the situation he was in - how could he be so careless?

"Are you okay, honey?" he heard Amelia's soft voice ask from the doorway.

He looked up and nodded quickly as he cleared his throat. "Ah, of course. Why- why do you ask?"

Amelia laughed as she slowly closed the door, her eyes narrowed at him. "Because you're sitting on the bed with your head in your hands," she pointed out.

"Oh, yeah," Isaac chuckled nervously. "That's - um, I just have a headache."

Amelia stepped closer to him, and he stared up at her as she reached out to touch his arm. She stared down at him, her lips pressing against his forehead.

"Maybe you're getting sick," she said while pulling away. "You feel like you have a fever again."

He nodded, "that's probably it. I'm definitely coming down with something."

Amelia was silent as she rolled her fingers through his hair, before she knelt down in front of him.

"I know what'll make you feel better," she said with a smile as she reached towards the buckle of his belt.

He jumped away from her to stand up, his heart pounding as he shook his head. Amelia stayed still, her eyes filled with confusion as she stared up at him.

"What is going on, Isaac?" Amelia asked while standing to her feet.

"I, I just, I don't feel well, and I think I am really sick," he said, practically breathless as he took his glasses off to rub his eyes.

"Do you need to go to the hospital?" she asked, and he felt her hand grip his.

"No, I don't think so," he said, his voice cracking as he stared at her. "I just, I don't want to get you sick."

Amelia nodded, pretending that she believed what he said though he felt she saw right through him. She turned away from him coldly as she pulled her shirt off to change into her nightgown.

"Amelia," Isaac said, reaching out to grab her arm but she ripped it out of his grip.

"You make me feel like I'm ugly lately, Isaac," Amelia said as she pulled her nightgown on. "Is that it? Am I ugly?"

"No, are you fucking- no, no way in Hell," Isaac said, and he meant it, her smooth dark skin and her large curls were beyond stunning.

"I just want to know where you're getting it from," Amelia spoke, her voice tight as she finally turned to face him.

"Getting what from?" he asked, though he knew what she meant.

"Who are you fucking? Because it's not me," she finally said, her words nearly knocking the wind out of him.

"Amelia, you are crazy if you think I'd ever cheat on you," he said, his heart dropping to his stomach.

"Lainey told me today that she thinks you're cheating, too, and that I'm not crazy. She notices the distance between us," Amelia said, closing her eyes as a tear rolled down her cheek. "It's embarrassing."

"Of course, of course she said that to you," Isaac said, his fists clenching as he took a deep breath. "What else did she say?"

Amelia opened her eyes to stare at him in disbelief.

"She didn't say anything else, why do you ask?" she questioned with a tilt of her head.

"Because, Amelia, she- I don't want her here anymore, and neither did you last night. Why is she back again? She... it's not her business what happens between us," Isaac took a step towards her, but Amelia backed away from him.