15

"Are you sure you're okay with doing this?" Emily asked as the two stood in the elevator that was slowly making its way up the tower. "I'm sure," Maya said quickly without even glancing at her. Emily looked down at the girl before placing a hand on her shoulder.

Maya looked up at her and Emily gave her a warm smile. "We'll do this together, okay?" Emily said. Maya nodded and smiled back just as the door to the elevator opened revealing the top floor where the machine that kept the portal opened was held.

Maya looked at the machine with wide eyes and began to walk towards it. She was almost to it when a voice called out, "Loki's scepter." Maya quickly spun around, her eyes landing on Erik Selvig who was lying on the ground a little ways away. "Doctor," Maya said a little hesitantly. She wasn't sure if he was still under Loki's mind control or not.

He looked over at her and gave her a pained look. "Loki's scepter, the energy. . .the Tesseract can't fight. You can't protect against yourself," he told her. Maya looked at the scientist and began walking towards him once she realized he wasn't under the mind control anymore. She bent down next to him, but he wouldn't meet her eyes. He was too disgusted at what he had done.

"It's not your fault," Maya whispered to him, already knowing what he was thinking about. His eyes flickered up to meet hers and she gave him a small childish smile that made his heart melt. "You didn't know what you were doing."

"Well, actually, I think I did. I built in a safety to cut the power source," Erik told her. "Loki's scepter," Emily muttered from behind the girl. Maya nodded. "It may be able to close the portal," Erik said. His eyes then flickered down to something over the side of the building. "And I'm looking right at it."

- - -

Maya stared at the scepter in her hand as she made her way back up to the top of the tower using her rocket boots. She tried not to focus on the things being yelled through the communications system. Not only was there a missile heading towards New York, but there seemed to be more and more Chitauri everywhere you looked.

Right as Maya was about to reach the top of Stark Tower, her eyes landed on Steve, Natasha, Liv, and Thor who were fighting the Chitauri down below. She noticed Liv get hit from behind and fall to the ground before a big blast of lightning struck down as Thor yelled out in anger.

However, as soon as the lightning stopped, a group of Chitauri began to attack him. Liv had thankfully gotten up by now, but Maya knew the group wouldn't be able to last much longer.

Maya landed on the top of the building to see Erik already typing into the computer. He told her where to stand before she began to push Loki's scepter closer towards the machine. It went through the force field with no problem and Maya smiled.

"I can close it!" She exclaimed, hoping the group could hear her. "Can anyone copy? I can shut the portal down!"

"Do it!" Steve yelled. "No, wait!" Tony exclaimed causing the girl to pause. "Stark, these things are still coming," Steve told him. "I got a nuke coming in. It's gonna blow in less than a minute," Tony said. "And I know just where to put it."

Maya froze. "Dad, you can't be serious," Maya muttered. "Oh, I'm dead serious, kid," he told her. "Stark, you know that's a one way trip," Steve said. "Dad," Maya said as her eyes began to fill with tears and her lip quivered. "I'm not going to do it. I won't close it."