Nine

As with most military officials, Hoseok's office is next to Salle du Manège, inside a grand heritage building of weathered limestone bricks. The endless dim corridors are always filled with whispering politicians and stern soldiers dressed in full uniform.

Yoongi nods to the guards silently, and knocks on the heavy oak door before slipping in.

The sun drenched chamber is easily double the size of all the other rooms Yoongi has seen in the building, with tall bookshelves lining both sides. At the center of the cavernous room, against the panels of long windows overlooking the street below, Hoseok is seated behind an oversized antique writing desk, gazing out with pinched brows.

He turns around and gestures at the chair in front of the desk, "Rare of you to visit me here."

Yoongi sits down and removes his triconed hat, "I didn't realize you've moved office. Weren't you downstairs before?"

A shrug, "Well, I asked around and the lieutenant general prefers to conduct business from his residence anyways. Seems like quite a waste, isn't it?"

Yoongi purses his lips and swallows his words. Nothing happens out of coincidence, especially a show of power as obvious as this. Hoseok's always been outspoken at the assembly, reveling in the spotlight as conflicts between internal fractions become more heated by the day. It's no wonder that people begin to favor him more and more, trying to get on his good side in times of uncertainty.

"Frankly, I think you should show up here more. Running an army isn't all about cooping up at the barracks, you know. People need to see you, be reminded which side you're on. I mean, I could definitely use some help reassuring everyone here, with the lieutenant general constantly at the palace himself..." Hoseok splates his hands over the desk, and comments.

"You know this isn't me." Yoongi retorts, slumping his body against the chair, "I can't sit here and fake a smile, while the troops are falling apart at the barracks. They need to be trained, equipped, and receive the right guidance they deserve, so they have a fighting chance."

A thoughtful grin curls up by Hoseok's lips, "You don't think political power is what protects the people that follow you? You think this is just all talk?" A wry chuckle, "I always figured you were better than the brute that they all took you to be, but it seems like you've accepted the stereotype..."

Yoongi narrows his eyes but doesn't respond. They stay in silence for a moment, as sunlight filters into the room, and the shuffling footsteps and whispers in the hallway echo faintly in the background. How slowly the seconds tick by, as the moment suspends itself, each detail simple and ordinary, yet how Yoongi suddenly wills for it to last forever, for them to stay as friends like this, however apart.

But eventually Hoseok looks into his eyes and breaks the silence, "Say it, Yoongi."

Yoongi grimaces at the words and shifts in the seat.

Hoseok's voice turns lower, unrelenting, "Say it. Ask me what you came to ask."

Yoongi meets his gaze and rasps, "Save her."

An iciness washes over Hoseok's expression, "As expected, you came for them."

Yoongi's cheeks flush but he continues, "You control the Conciergerie prison guards, and went to school with the new chief of the city police, you're the only one that can save her."

"But why would I? Tell me, why would I save someone that lied to me for months, and may still drag my reputation through the mud along with her own?" There's blazing fire in Hoseok's eyes, as his hands push into the table.