Chapter 27

Chloe was running wildly. All the infected in the area seemed to have honed in on her presence. The more I listened, the more I heard her screaming for help, ironically making the situation worse. She was over half the property away from me with over a dozen infected between me and her.

Leave her.

I turned towards the car, my hand on the driver's side door.

But I couldn't do that. That would make me a horrible person and I cared for Chloe. I reached in and turned the engine off, but left the keys in the ignition. The last thing I need would be for them to slip out of my pocket. I had roughly ten bullets left in my gun and one extra clip that we had found, loaded in my backpack. I fished it out and stuffed it into my pocket.

The door slammed louder than I hoped it would have when I shut it, drawing some attention. I started my jog towards Chloe's location, using the less populated path. Luckily most of the infected's backs were facing me, all intent on getting to the screaming girl.

I wanted to yell at her to stop screaming, but then the attention would be focused on me and make this rescue attempt harder. Dodging the grabbing arms and confused infected, I managed to gain some ground. I really wanted to avoid using my gun until I absolutely had to, the noise would draw them to me like moths to a flame. I was too focused on in front of me that I didn't see the one bounding towards me from the side.

We were knocked down from the collision and I rolled away as soon as I felt the grass on my skin. A badly decayed hand wrapped around my ankle, using me as leverage to pull its emaciated form closer. I tried to dislodge it by wiggling my foot, but it was on their good.

Seeing no other option, I pulled out my gun and shot it between the eyes. Well it was more like in the upper left corner of the forehead, but it worked all the same. Dark, viscous blood sprayed onto my leg and I grimaced. The body went lax and I was able to pull my leg free.

All red and milky eyes were on me. I had just rung the dinner bell with that shot. It appeared I had also got Chloe's attention, who was now sprinting towards me. Into the horde. Shit. I gained some speed and started to shove over all of the nearest infected, knowing I would have more success with that, than with my gun at the moment. I felt like a quarterback running the football in for a touchdown. I hated sports.

"Bailey!" Chloe screamed my name.

I reached her in the middle of the chaos. She latched onto me and I had to pry her off.

"Come on."

With her hand in mine, I lead us around the infected. Steering her away from the relentless bodies, I was forced to pull out my gun. The gunfire had formed into a continuous popping succession. Bodies were dropping, but it looked like I had used all the bullets. Then more gunfire sounded off into the distance.

Chloe looked at me, us both knowing that came from one of our group. I elbowed a pre-teen infected out of the way and they flopped against the trunk of the car, bouncing right back up.

"Get in the driver's door!" I yelled out of breath.

Chloe didn't have to be told twice as she opened the door and scrambled into the next seat. The infected that I had elbowed was by no means done. I swiped out my left leg, hitting it behind the knee. It fell back against the car again, sliding down this time, its arms flailing in the air. It reminded me of when a cartoon character would dramatically slip on a banana peel.

I hurried in after her and slammed my door behind me. Hands were groping on the sides, looking to get it. The rest were heading right for us.

"Go!" Chloe's high pitch scream made my temples throb.