Chapter 28

We had been on the abandoned interstate for over an hour. I was quickly running out of options as the gas gauge continued to count down, like an executioner before he pulled the electric chair switch. The sun would eventually set and I couldn't have us out here in the open, sleeping in the car. We needed to find a house or something we could temporarily secure.

"Where are we goin'?" Chloe spoke up.

I took a deep breath, "I don't know."

She shot me a look like she couldn't contemplate my level of stupidity, "Well that's helpful."

You can't hit a child. You can't hit a child.

"Then what does the all mighty Chloe suggest?" I retorted and realized I was arguing with a kid.

"Dunno, but just drivin' is stupid."

I clenched my jaw, "Okay, well how about we take the next exit?"

"And then do what?"

"Well we need to find a place to sleep and some food. We should keep the stuff I brought as emergency rations."

"And then what?"

I breathed through my nose, "I don't know."

"You say that a lot."

This was not going anywhere.

"Can you look in the glove box and see if John has a map in there?"

Chloe unlatched the box and started to rummage through the contents, "I don't see nothin'."

I propped open the center console, "See if there is anything in here."

"Nope."

"Crap."

I needed a map or something as a rough guide. John and to a lesser extent, Taylor had attempted to teach me the ways of the map reader. I wasn't too bad now.

"That sign says Westwego, 20 miles," Chloe pointed out.

"So I guess that's our first stop."

There were no signs of life on the interstate, which could be taken both ways. There were no sign of Ethan's truck either. I recognized the stretch of road from our recent supply run and I prayed that we didn't run into the psychos from the police station. Gretna was still a good hour or two down the road, but they may be on the move. Thinking about them made me itch to turn off of the interstate.

After a bit, we went down the turn-off, a small town greeting us. The streets were as lifeless as the interstate. A few cars lined the road leading into town. The store fronts were closed up, a few windows had been smashed in.

Nothing moved, except for the few roaming infected. All towns had become ghost towns. It was hard to believe over three months ago, this place would have been busy with life. I turned down a residential area, side-swiping an infected in a torn apron with cats on it. None of the houses looked damaged, but it was hard to tell.

"What are we doin'?"

"We're going to find a house to secure for the night. Gather some supplies and find me a map."

"Then what?"

I hated when kids asked questions all the time. Especially when I didn't have an answer for them.

"Try to see what this Hargrove place is. Maybe it's a town or a building. It's kind of the only lead we have right now."

"Then we should get another radio too."

"Good idea." Chloe smiled at my praise.

I had no idea how to go about this. Should I secure a house and leave her there while I went to find what we needed? Or should I bring her with me, in case something happened to her while I left her? Neither choice was ideal.