Chapter Forty-Three

William Novett

"I'm not backing out of the tournament," William stated stubbornly to his father. After hearing about the fact that the assassin was in the castle, William and his siblings each retreated to their respective bedrooms. Evelyn, being nervous, went with Faye. However, King Jacob decided to speak to Will in his bedroom privately. An assassin wasn't a joking matter, after all.

Rowan sat on Will's bed with her own bow rested on her lap. Despite wearing a dress, she also had a sword clasped to her waist. "It's not up for debate." The King stated simply, beginning to step out of the room.

"I damn well think it is." William retorted, stepping forward after the King. "This is my name on the line, father, not yours. I cannot just back out of a tournament." Will stated unhappily.

"William." The King scowled as he turned himself around. He narrowed his eyes and crossed his arms. "I will throw you in the dungeons if that's what's required to keep you safe."

William let out a snort and placed his hands to his side, practically glaring daggers at his father. "Because locking me in a dungeon, trapped, won't be an advantage to the assassin in the slightest."

King Jacob and William stared daggers at each other in silence for a few moments. It was clear that neither one was going to get what they wanted.

"Your majesty," Sir Parker spoke up from the door, clearly having a thought. The Prince and King broke their gaze and turned to look at both Parker and Seán - the two currently placed on William for protection. Parker was skilled in defense and Seán in shooting long distance. It was a good balance, given a Mointeach was after him.

"Yes, Sir Parker?" The King spoke unhappily - though his unhappiness was towards William, not Parker.

Parker shifted his stance to face the King. "Tomorrow during the tournament we can double security - particularly in high locations. If the assassin still somehow makes an appearance I can stand in as Prince William initially. That way, if the assassin is there, he would attack me over the Prince." Parker offered.

William did not like the sound of that. He didn't like the sound of that at all. "That's not necessary, Parker. I'm more than capable of defending myself."

King Jacob frowned towards William and dipped his head towards Parker. "If you want to fight in that tournament you will be having Parker stand in for you." The King said firmly. He turned to look at Will and crossed his arms. "Unless you are fighting in battle you are to always be hidden - Parker will be parading around in your gear to the citizens and hopefully they will be none the wiser." King Jacob commented with a scowl. He wasn't happy that William was going to be fighting at all but if it was going to be anything... that would be best. "Understood?"

Will knew that this was the best he was going to get. He let out a slow sigh and frowned. "Yes, your majesty."

The King nodded his head to William before casting back towards Rowan - a different matter entirely. "When that egg hatches I expect it to be trained to be a tame warrior." He stated simply. "You'll have knights and other men to assist you in the process. I'll have a location stripped and rebuilt in the dungeon as a cage to hold it." King Jacob shifted his gaze over to William. "Since you insist on letting this happen, I expect you to oversee the process."

"Yes, My Lord." Will stated to his father, merely watching as the King left the room. Parker dipped his head to William and shut the door, leaving Rowan and William to be alone in silence.

Will sat himself down on the bed in frustration, letting out a slow sigh. After the whole arrow incident he felt like this was the first time he was able to actually sit down and think. Rowan likely recognised that as well, since she also remained relatively quiet.

Finally deciding to speak, Will reached out his hand and grabbed Rowan's. She looked up in slight surprise as he squeezed her hand softly. "Thank you, Ro. You might've just saved my life." He said with a slight smile towards her.

Rowan glanced down at her lap and blushed slightly, becoming slightly embarrassed. Will could see a smidge of Evelyn's bashfulness in her. "All I did was hear a bowstring, s'nothin' special fer my breed."

William shook his head as he wrapped his arm around Rowan's waist. He pulled her to himself from her side of the bed and hugged her sideways softly. "It's special." He murmured happily while hugging her, resting his chin on top of her head. "Thank you."

From above her head, Will could see Rowan's cheeks flushing red once again. He smiled smugly but continued to hug her side into his chest. "Stop it," She murmured.

Will didn't. He merely chuckled with a growing smile. "I'm a Prince, Ro. I'm not very good at taking orders." He said jokingly. Will leaned back and kissed the side of her head softly before dropping his hands. He pushed himself up onto his feet and brushed himself off. "I'm going to head over to check on Faye and Evelyn. I have no doubt they're shaken up. I'll leave Seán here with you for your own protection."

"Okay," Rowan murmured, a blush still faint on her cheeks while she stared down at her lap.

Stepping over to his door, William pulled it open to see Parker and Seán standing. "I'm heading over to check on my sisters. Seán, stay here with your own sister." He said.

Sir Seán furrowed his eyebrows slightly. "I was ordered by the King t'stay with you."

"I'm changing orders." William stated stubbornly with a frown. "Stay with your sister and keep her safe. I'll be with my sister's guards. I'll be fine." William stated, turning and beginning to head down towards Faye's room first.

Raising his hand up, Will knocked on Faye's door. Parker stayed behind him, alert. A guard opened the door from the inside to reveal an unhappy Faye and a Prince Neil trying to calm her down. "William," Faye said, a frown on her lips.

"Faye." Will said, stepping inside. Parker followed. "What's wrong?"

"You were just attacked, Will." Faye said, throwing her hand in the air. "You were just attacked and better yet your little Mointeach friend was the one to spot the shooter. You know what I bet? I bet she saw the assassin because she's working with the assassin."

Neil let out a slow breath and closed his eyes. It's clear he's been listening to this theory for a while now. "Faye, that's ridiculous." Will started.

Faye didn't think it was. "Is it?" She said, pushing herself up onto her feet. The red haired princess crossed her arms and stepped over to William. Neil merely remained sitting on the bed in defeat. "The assassin wasn't in the castle until she got here."

"Until I got here. He's after me, Faye. Remember?" William barked unhappily. "Would you just take a breath and think. You're starting to sound like father with all of these ridiculous accusations." Will said. Faye frowned unhappily, keeping her arms crossed over her chest. However, she was silent. She was going to listen. "If Rowan was working with the assassin she wouldn't have pointed him out. She would have let him finish the job."

Faye stood in silence, letting the words sink in. Neil gave William a thankful look from behind Faye. It was clear that he would have his hands full with her throughout their marriage. However, Neil was a laid back man. William had no doubt he could handle Faye.

Since Faye hadn't spoken yet, it was clear to Will that she understood and recognised why he was right. "Now," Will started, relaxing slightly. He exhaled. "Rowan is my guest and I expect you treat her with the utmost respect."

Faye, who never liked to be wrong, continued to remain silent as she made her way back over next to Neil. She sat herself down and crossed her legs, leaving her arms crossed as well. Neil wrapped his arm around her shoulder.

"I came down here to check if you were alright. Are you alright," Will paused with a snort. "Now?"

Neil spoke up, obviously seeing that his future wife wasn't interested in talking after being shown wrong. "I have no doubt she'll be just fine." Prince Neil said with a smile. "Thank you for stopping by to check on us."

"Of course." Will said, glancing towards his sister. They exchanged looked for a moment before stepping out of the room. Will then made his way across the hall towards Evelyn's room. He had no doubt that it would go much better in there with Evelyn than it did with Faye.