Chapter Fifty-Eight

Rowan of Monalin

Where Owen had even gotten the idea that Ro and Paddy were courting, she had no clue, and in her disbelief towards the suggestion, she'd rather...adamantly denied it. Paddy was her friend. He was like...a brother to her. Even thinking about courting him felt...weird.

Like thinking about kissing Seán.

Shudder.

Nope.

Of course, Owen had been skeptical about her response, but that was on him. He could think what he wanted. Rowan's interests were a bit south from home.

But a part of her, a cynical—read: realistic—part of her that she hated and wanted to shut up, told her that she would probably be better off keeping her interests close to home.

After all, she hadn't the slightest idea how Will would take her secret.

She couldn't think like that. She refused to think like that, at least right now, as she was taking William's arm with a bashful smile. "We shall~."

Gods whatever happened to nipping this in the bud?

Well. Rowan had never really been a gardener.

If there was anything else she was learning from this, other than digging herself a hole and burying her heart in it, it was that Caelfall was a lot bigger and busier than Monalin. Of course, she'd caught a glimpse yesterday as she was dragging His Drunkenness from the tavern, but it hadn't exactly been a stroll through town, so she hadn't paid attention to her surroundings. Now though, now it was different.

And Ro loved it.

Don't get her wrong, Monalin is great, and she does miss it, but spending eighteen years, her entire life, in one small place and only that place wasn't very exciting. She pretty much had always known what to expect from her day. Being in Caelfall? Not anymore. And that was exciting.

Rowan had a feeling William was taking her certain places on purpose, considering at this point he was probably well-versed in what interested her. To be fair, she did tend voice her opinions loudly for the world to hear. So when they came upon a seller of horses, obviously she wanted to have a look. Because horses.

However, seeing all the warmbloods, Ro couldn't help but wonder if there were any moorlands this far south. Probably not. All the best moorland stock came from Mointeach, and they were better suited for that sort of terrain. She knew that Bradach, for example, would probably feel odd being down here.

Will nodded at the man who was currently tending the horses and said, "Gareth was once offered to work for the crown."

"Really?" Ro questioned, glancing between him and this Gareth. "I'm guessin' he said no?" Otherwise, why would he be here and not the castle.

"Aye," Will confirmed. "Said he preferred the humility."

Watching the man, she could definitely see that. Gareth looked like he would rather be a horse than a person, hanging out with his herd in the paddock. "Does that happen a lot?" she joked. "People preferrin' humility?"

The prince chuckled. "Frustratingly often." He glanced at her and asked, "Do you know about my offer to your father?"

Ah, right. "Aye," she replied with a nod.

"What do you think he'll say?"

That was a good question. If Rowan were honest, she had no idea what her da would end up choosing. But, she did have an idea what his thought process might go along. "Dunno. I think he'd like ta, but then me mum would have t'leave the inn? An' I dunno how she'd feel in a place like Caelfall. She wanted t'move t'Monalin 'cause it was quiet. But, I've no clue. Fer all I know she'll surprise us all."

He nodded slowly, then raised a curious brow at her. "Why did your parents leave Mointeach?"

Well. Rowan opened her mouth to tell him that he'd find out later, but was interrupted as Gareth approached. "Prince William!" The two men shook hands firmly, greeting like old friends. "Come to beg for my work again?"

Will rolled his eyes. "Not this time, Gareth." He placed his hand on Ro's back, smiling warmly. "Lady Rowan has an affinity for animals. It seemed natural to bring her here."

Ro blushed and waggled her fingers at Gareth. "Hi."

"Pleasure to meet you, my lady," Gareth replied with a dip of his head. It was weird, being regarded like that. Everyone at the castle was respectful towards her because they knew Will would not be happy with them if they weren't, but for the most part they were aware that she wasn't nobility. But how would this man know that? Rowan was dressed like a lady, and as ever William insisted on calling her one.

For all Gareth knew, Rowan was nobility.

Weird.

But she got over it quickly, more interested in the animals behind him. "They all warmbloods?" she asked, nodding at his herd. "No moorlands?"

The horseman smiled. "Ah, I'm not surprised a northern woman like yourself would ask a question like that." He glanced over his shoulder before continuing, "No pure moorlands, I'm afraid. However I do have a cross. Lovely young mare. Would you like to meet her?"

....Ro glanced at Will, who nodded. Then she grinned at Gareth, who smiled back and dipped his head again before turning back towards the herd. "Just meetin'," she told Will. "Yer not buyin' me a horse."

"Not today," he replied, tilting his head briefly and smirking.

"No," she insisted, wagging a reprimanding finger at him. "A necklace is one thing, but a horse? There's spoilin', an' then there's lavishin'. I barely deserve spoilin'."

William frowned at her slightly. "Nonsense.You saved my life and caught the assassin. As far as I know, my father hasn't rewarded you for that yet." His frown returned to a smirk. "Besides, I can spend all the coin I want, on what I want, for whom I want."

"Will...." Ro wasn't allowed to scold him further as Gareth returned, leading the moorland/warmblood cross he'd mentioned. And...she was a lovely young mare. She was tall, like the other warmbloods, but she definitely had a bit more weight to her. She had the tufts of hair about her legs like other moorlands as well. Her coat was white, with a smattering of black spots about her body. And she was quite possibly one of, if not the, most beautiful horse Rowan had ever seen.

And William noticed.

It was more difficult to say no this time. "Do not spend yer coin on me, Will, I swear t'the gods," she muttered, while petting the mare's nose. "Do. Not."

The prince laughed. "You don't sound like you want to say that."

"I don't," she admitted. "Fook ya. But seriously, no."

"Well," he started, and already could Ro just feel the persuasion coming off him. "You do need a horse to ride back to Monalin with. When...you return...."

Rowan's hand paused on the horse's face as she looked up at him, blinking. She...hadn't thought of that. Thus far, what with the decision made about her dragon egg, she had been unsure of when she'd be going back. Hells, if she'd be going back. And under that assumption, she'd thought, if and when she went home, she would just...ride with Will. "I mean...." she murmured, returning her gaze to the horse. "I guess, but....I wouldn't mind...stayin' here...." Her voice progressively got quieter, and she wasn't sure if he'd heard her. Maybe it would be better if he hadn't.

Nip it.

Fucking hells.

But apparently he had heard it, for she felt his hand upon her waist again, and when she glanced up bashfully he was smiling.

Gods, she was only making what she had to tell him when they got back harder.