Chapter 3 ● You don't know what you've got yourself into until it's too late ○

Calum just stands there awkwardly as his friends tease him. He then starts gets so annoyed with them that he just goes back to the bar. This time Valley isn't there but a different bartender is there. Calum wonders where Valley went but chooses not to question it. He himself wonders why he's so obsessed with wanting to have a good conversation with her. He knows why he wanted to talk to her when he was fifteen. However he doesn't know why he still wants to talk to her so badly now. It's not possible that he still has those same thoughts continuously for like a bit under decade later. He feels as though something took control over his mind and made him want to keep thinking about talking to her. But that's not possible is it? Calum is so confused about it. All he knows is he has the determination to have a conversation with her like the determination he has when he's playing a game he really wants to win or something like that.

"What's up Cal?" The bartender; Leo asks. He knows Calum by name as Calum's been here a lot. "Just thinking about something Lee" Calum replies to him. "Is it possible that someone can somehow gain control over your mind and compel you to keep thinking about something for years?" He asks Leo. "That's crazy Calum. It's just you that has control over your own thoughts" Leo replies. Calum only somewhat believes what Leo just told him. He knows he's not in control his thoughts whenever he thinks about having a good conversation with her now.

"I guess so" he replies to Leo. "Can I get you anything to drink?" He asks Calum. Suddenly Calum's not in the mood for any kind of alcoholic beverage. "Just water will do" he says. Calum doesn't want to tell his friends about him not being in control over his thoughts sometimes; he knows they wouldn't believe him just like how Leo didn't believe him. Leo must have thought he was drunk or something but he just had one alcoholic drink and it wasn't strong enough to get him drunk. Calum knows he should try resisting this force that takes control of his mind but fears that if he does resist it he wouldn't be able to fight it easily. He believes that if this force thinks he's vulnerable he would take it easy on him and then he can show it that he's stronger than the force knows he is and then he can defeat it.

Valley went out of the bar early she told Leo to continue the rest of her shift and that she would give him the money for the hours he covered for her. The thing she once knew as her thoughts wanted to talk to her. She definitely wouldn't call him her thoughts anymore. He would kill her if she ever called him that. "You wanted to see me Darren?" she asks once she's away from the nightclub. "Of course I do Valley" Darren who she thought was her thoughts back then says. "What is it you want to talk to me about?" She asks the tone of her voice clearly showing nervousness. "It's been nearly a decade and you still haven't brought him to me, I can't keep drawing him to you much longer. What's taking you so long?" Darren asks Valley. "After I left school. I had college for two years and he was still in school. Then I had to go to university for three years to get all the qualifications I need to get a good  job" she says. "Oh yeah but your studies are not important" he tells her. "Maybe not to you but they are very important to me" she replies. "Valley you're a vampire you have the power control people's minds and make them give you the job" Darren says. "But that's not putting in any effort plus it's unfair" she says. "The world is never fair Valley, in order to survive in this place you need to make unfair choices" Darren replies.

Valley pauses for a bit before speaking. "I would rather not survive in this place than be unfair towards anyone" she says. "Your parents clearly didn't think like you do; they were smarter that's why they made the unfair choice to hand you over to me" he says. "That's not true" she replies. "You don't want to believe it but it is; why else would they just hand you over to me when you were just three?" He responds. Valley is nearly crying she doesn't want to think of her parents as evil people but she knows Darren is right. Her parents were selfish to not let her have a choice. "You know I'm right, don't you?" He questions.

"Yes you're right about them" she says. "Anyways, you still need to get him to me. I will give you a week to bring him to me and if you don't bring him to me within that week. You don't want to know what I'll do to you" Darren threatens her. "Fine I'll bring him to you but you need to keep your promise to me and give me the more freedom you promised you would all those years ago" she replies. It's selfish of her to bring him to Darren against his will but she made a deal with Darren when she was seventeen and she couldn't break it. She really just wanted to be a bit more free from his control. This was the only way as  he just really wanted him for some reason. Darren wanted him when he first saw him back when he was fifteen. She knows giving Darren what he wants is a bad idea but it's the only way she can get what she wants.

"Yes Valley I will give you more freedom once bring him to me" Darren says. "How do I know I can trust you?" She asks him. "Also, why do you want him so badly?" She asks him. "Because I'm pretty sure he'll be more useful than you" he tells her. "You didn't answer the first question I asked" she tells him. "Fine, I shall give you this as a reminder that I owe you" he says taking off his really old necklace and giving it to her. "This is really precious to me and if I don't give you what you want in exchange for bringing him to me. Don't give it back to me until you're satisfied" he replies. "Deal" she mutters to him.