• thirty-one •

//Song: Shelter - Broken Bells

"I knew it would fit you!" Leah squealed when I emerged from my room.

I couldn't help my smile as I looked in the mirror. I wanted to dress nicely for the fair even if it was a quick trip. It was a nice, form-fitting, casual black dress with short sleeves. It was close through the chest and sides then flared out from the waist. The neckline was low but not low enough that the new dark mark on my chest could be seen.

It was simple and not over the top. And I absolutely loved it.

I twirled as I watched my reflection. "It's perfect."

"Julian is going to love it!" Leah's tone was infectious. "Do you want to do anything special with your hair?"

I shook my head, placing my hands in the hidden pockets. "I usually go with my human glamour. Brown hair, braided."

Leah shrugged. "I suppose that's safest. We don't want to draw too much attention." In an instant, her features dulled. Her luminous skin lost its glow, her hair didn't look as soft. Her eyes lost their magic.

I'd gotten so used to how she looked as a fae that I forgot she was still just as stunning glamoured as her past human self. Even as I looked at my own reflection with the glamour I place on myself. I always wanted to look like my past self. I purposely had scars with my glamour, imperfections on the skin of my face so that I would blend in like I used to.

Now I wondered why I tried so hard.

She watched me changes my features and a moment later asked, "How is it going controlling dark magic?"

I didn't show how nervous her question made me. Instead, I started tucking frizzy strands of hair in the braid that fell over one of my shoulders. "I can't tell the difference of which one I use."

Leah nodded solemnly but picked at her fingers. "Do you feel any different?"

I shook my head. "No, not really. They feel too similar."

Leah looked at her reflection and popped her lips as she applied lipstick.

"Leah!" Damien called from downstairs. "I know you're the one keeping us--whatever you're wearing is fine!"

I snorted laughing at his remark. They had been close for months once upon a time and he seemed to know that she liked to look her best.

Leah smiled sadly. It was gone quickly but I caught it. Maybe she was thinking the same way too. They had gone missing for two months and when I saw them again, they were engaged.

Leah was genuinely happy. She met her Prince Charming. He was going to make her queen.

And now, after everything she had done, Damien couldn't even look at her. Every word he said to her was curt. Short. To the point. And if not short then dripping with loathing.

She had only herself to blame and if the longing stares and sad smiles told me anything, it was that she knew it too.

She gave a broad smile when she caught me looking. "Ready?"

As soon as we appeared downstairs, Damien threw his hands up, standing from a recliner. "Gods, finally." He moves towards us. "Specter then?"