Prologue

It was a Sunday, the first day of Autumn, when I spotted the removal van opposite my bedroom window

It was a Sunday, the first day of Autumn, when I spotted the removal van opposite my bedroom window. I had woken up late and when I groggily opened the blinds I almost didn't notice the van, partially obscured by the trees. The leaves were just starting to turn, not yet lining the street with gold like they did every year. There were two men hauling a sofa up the driveway of the house directly opposite my own. A woman was stood in the doorway, shouting what appeared to be instructions based on her animated gestures.

When I spotted them I grinned, racing downstairs to inform my parents. Having been up for hours ahead of me, they were well aware of our new neighbours' arrival.

"There's a boy around your age," my Dad commented without looking up from the stack of essays he was marking.

"Could be nice for you to make a friend," Mum chimed in with a suggestive glance in my direction.

I groaned. For as long as I could remember, she'd been overly concerned with me making friends. I knew she questioned her decision for me to be home-schooled; she worried I didn't socialise enough.

I mean, sure, I didn't exactly have a wild social life, but I was happy to spend my time holed up in my room with a book. Not that a friend wouldn't be nice - maybe that's why I was so excited by the removal van, because in the books I'd read that was often how the best friendships started. When the house used to be occupied by a miserable old man, I didn't have much hope of adventures, but this time could be different.

***

My Mum always told me I should be more careful when I was out; she thought that wandering around with my eyes more focused on the book I was reading than the world around me was an accident waiting to happen. Honestly, she was probably right. (Not that I'd ever admit that to her, of course.) But when I'd been sent out to buy some milk from the corner shop after my lessons were over, I didn't want to put down the book I was reading in order to do so.

The events unfurling on the page were so distracting that I didn't notice the boy standing on my driveway until I got to the door and he spoke.

"Why aren't you wearing school uniform?"

I jumped, spinning around to see him stood casually, hands shoved in his pockets, in the middle of our driveway. Like it was an ordinary thing to do. Like I had any idea who the hell he was.

"Who are you?" I asked defensively.

Maybe my Mum was right that I was a little naive, but I knew enough to be suspicious of a strange boy waiting for you outside your house.

"I'm Carter Pearson," he replied lightly, again with the implication that this was a totally normal encounter. When I didn't reply, just stared at him blankly, he added, "I just moved in across the street."

At that, my apprehensions dissipated, and I smiled a little. "Oh, hi."

My eyes skimmed over him, observing the appearance of my new neighbour. He was wearing the local secondary school's uniform: white shirt and black trousers, complete with the blue striped tie. Dad was right, he was about my age, or perhaps a little older. His blond hair was gelled into a sort-of quiff, but his overall look was slightly dishevelled. Piquing my interest the most, though, was his grin, revealing braces, which seemed directed right at me.

"So, why aren't you in uniform?" he asked again, persistent. I thought I detected a hint of an accent in his voice, maybe American. My curiosity grew stronger; I'd never met an American person before.

"I'm homeschooled," I told him.

The book which had so entirely captured my attention a minute ago was now almost forgotten.

"Why?"

I rolled my eyes. "You're very nosey, Carter Pearson."

"I'm curious!" he protested. "I was hoping there was maybe a loophole here that meant I could get away with not going to school."

At this, I laughed, noticing his grin get even wider as I did. "Sadly not."

He took a couple of steps across the driveway towards me, so that we could lower our voices to a more normal level. My heartbeat quickened. From close up I could see that he was cute. His blue eyes were bright, inquisitive. Somewhat self-consciously, I tucked my hair behind my ears.

"You never told me your name," he said. "How are we supposed to be friends if I don't even know your name?"

In a sudden rush of confidence, I replied, "How do you know I want us to be friends?"

This made him laugh, which made me blush.

"Because I'm awesome," Carter replied nonchalantly, shrugging his shoulders. "Hey! Are you rolling your eyes at me?"

"You deserved it," I replied, surprising myself at how easily I slipped into conversation with him. "But if you are as awesome as you claim to be, then I guess you deserve to know my name. I'm Sydney Sherwood."

"Sydney Sherwood," Carter echoed, like he was testing it. His voice saying my name was enough to set off a flurry of butterflies in my stomach; he had a way of saying it that made it sound so much better than normal. Then, he added, "That sounds like the name of the quirky sidekick of the main character in a movie."

I laughed. "I'm nobody's sidekick, thank you very much."

With that, Carter turned to leave. I felt affronted until he gestured towards his house and I saw a woman standing in the doorway, watching us. I lifted my hand in a small, awkward wave.

"Will I get to see you around again, Sydney?" Carter asked.

"Considering you're the one who waited for me on my lawn, Carter, I don't think I'll be able to get rid of you."

* * * * *

author's note - I'll try not to add notes to further chapters, so this may be a little long to cover all the basics.

First of all, thank you for clicking on my story! I have already completed writing it and I'm currently in the editing process, meaning updates will be regular.

This is a new adult work, based around characters aged 19+. This means that there are some sexual scenes (though nothing too explicit), bad language and mature themes that may not be suitable for younger readers.

I will be adding character aesthetics, artwork etc to some of the chapters and there is also a playlist available of a selection of songs that have inspired or relate to the story, which I have attached in the external link for anyone who wants to listen.

That's all - I'm proud of this story and I love these characters so I decided to share it on here. All votes, comments & feedback will be very much appreciated! Thank you!