Interrogation

"I don't know. I just woke up and I was on the floor. I was wandering around for a long time until I finally saw Haven in the distance." Farrah repeated with confidence, though inside her soul was trembling with fear. She stared at Mr. Bex directly in his eyes as she answered his questions.

The older man studied her keenly, showing no emotion, "I find it very hard to digest the fact that that thing didn't eat you. Tell me what's really going on."

"I told you," Farrah repeated for the hundredth time, "I was unconscious." From the opposite side of the small metal room, Skye was seated in the corner in silence. Though he was secretly glad Farrah was safe from harm, he wished his father would leave her alone.

Before Mr. Bex could open his mouth again, Skye decided it was time to cut the questioning.

"Come on, dad. It's been an hour. I think she needs to get some sleep."

Mr. Bex whirled at his son with hidden discontent, but when he once again faced Farrah, he was smiling from ear to ear.

"My son's right. Why don't you get some sleep? If you remember anything, just let me know."

Farrah immediately sat up, squeezing past Mr. Bex without a word. She could feel his eyes drilling in the back of her head as Skye escorted her out of the room. He made sure the door was completely shut before stopping her in her tracks.

"I was really worried. Me and my men were looking for you for hours."

Farrah flashed a quick, false smile, shrugging, "Well I'm here now."

Skye returned the grin, nodding with a short breath of relief, "You're right. And I promise we'll take better care of you now."

She cringed at the thought of being kept a close eye on, like she was some sort of criminal. It was something Farrah knew she couldn't live with. Blocking Skye's path with a stiff hand, she accidentally glared and muttered, "I can take care of myself." Skye rose up his hands like he was being pointed at with a gun, "I don't doubt that, sweetheart."

Farrah marched away before the man could get another word in. He merely watched after her as she faded away into the foggy night, presumably heading back to her room. With a dejected sigh he turned away and was met face to face with his own father. The good feelings he had were immediately gone as Mr. Bex grabbed a hold of his wrist, squeezing it tightly as he pulled his own son roughly to one side.

"Dad-."

"Cut it out." Mr. Bex muttered under his breath, eyes burning with rage at the incident that had occurred, "How many times do I have to tell you to not interfere with my affairs?"

"I-I get it. But you've been questioning her for an hour-."

"So what?!" The old man looked around to make sure no one was listening to their private discussion. Once he was sure the both of them were alone, he began to speak once more- this time a little quieter. "You and I know that girl is hiding something. And let's not forget we've just found out there's not one of those things- but two. If she knows something about the beasts, we should get it out of her. It's the only way we can eliminate what is threatening our home."

Skye quickly nodded, reminding himself to never get on his father's bad side. "I got it. I'm...going to bed now."

He was ready to leave, but Mr. Bex latched on to his shoulder, nearly causing the young man to jump. "Not until I give you your mission, son."

"...Please, dad."

"Shut up and listen." Mr. Bex swung his arm around his son's shoulder, forcing the both of them to walk away from the interrogation room. The lamps around them flickered with the wind as they made their way down a dimly lit path. It had only been getting stronger as the day passed. Skye feared a terrible storm was coming.

"You seem to like this girl. What's her name? Farrah?"

Skye didn't respond. He merely turned the opposite way, trying to avoid making eye contact.

"Ah, son. You're all grown up. Maybe it's not so bad for you to get a woman already? Farrah seems like a good girl. You might learn a thing or two from her."

He broke away from his father, staring daggers at the one who had raised him. With a shake of his head, he stepped back cautiously, "I'm not going to go out with her just so I can tell you her secrets."

Mr. Bex's lips suddenly cracked into a wide grin, sending shivers down Skye's spine. "You won't do what I say, huh? Look at you. You've really turned into a man now. Think you know more than your own dad does, huh?"

"That's not what I said." Skye rebelled defiantly, clenching his fists as the older man was now right up on his face and staring him down. "She's a good person. Better than you and I."

A sharp sting and a loud slap echoed through the area, causing Skye to let out a groan of shock. He rubbed the side of his burning face, but couldn't recover enough when a fistful of his hair was grabbed from behind. He was dragged to a side of a building, angry words being whispered into his ear as he gritted his teeth together.

"I brought you into this world and you're going to obey ever word I say. Unless, of course, you want to be that monsters next meal."

Skye shook his head, swallowing back the angry tears that swelled into his eyes. Mr. Bex let him go, nearly smashing his head on the wooden boards in front of them.

"Good. I knew you would realize how important this mission is."

Skye wiped the side of his mouth, feeling a tint of copper stinging his tongue and crawling down his throat. He brushed down his clothes, a stern and uncaring facade taking over him as he stood directly by his father's side, "What is it you need me to do, father?"