'You Better Call!'

After a Beat, Carlisle jumps to Bella's side. Edward, though white as a bone, snaps out of it and stands between her and the others. Hearing Harley's whimper, Rose turns around and holds her head in her cold hands. "You alright Hun?"

Harley groans. "The voices..." Rosalie quickly grabs her hand and pulls her out of the Living Room.

Carlisle doesn't look up from Bella's arm. "Emmett, get Jasper out of here." No response. "Emmett." Emmett reins himself in and drags the snarling Jasper out. Esme holds her nose, politely exits with the others, and goes to check on Harley, having heard her talk to Rose. Alice looks at Bella, apologetic.

"I'm sorry, I... can't..." She slips out the door. Edward's still on guard as Carlisle examines Bella's arm.

"I'll have to stitch this up."

"I'll carry her to the kitchen." He moves to pick her up, but his eyes dart to the blood.

"I'll take care of her, Edward." Edward doesn't move. "Check on Jasper. Go." Edward looks from him to Bella. Then steps back, allowing Carlisle to lift Bella and carry her to the kitchen. But just before the kitchen door closes, Bella sees Edward's agonised face. He turns away, unable to meet her eyes.

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Cullen House
Kitchen

Rose and Harley walk into the kitchen where Bella and Carlisle reside, a calm look now on Harley's face having taken her med's. Rose stops and turns to Harley, a frown on her face. "I'm gonna go check on Emmett, We'll be back. Alright?"

Harley nods, her grin going into place. "Don't worry Pumpkin. I'll chill with Doc and Bells until you guys get back."

Rose sighs, kissing her forehead. "Okay." She speeds away, Harley turns and Bella quickly looks away. Not wanting to be caught staring.

Bella sits in a chair opposite Carlisle who mops up her blood as he removes glass shards from her arm. He drops one into a bowl. She tries not to look at the blood. Harley walks over and sits next to Bella, watching in fascination.

"I sure can kill a party." Harley snorts at this.

"Nice word use Cupcake." Carlisle chuckles.

"It's not your fault. Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us."

"Seems like you're the only one it doesn't effect." Bella states, Harley looks to Carlisle with a raised eyebrow.

"Centuries of practice."

"Did you ever think of... living differently?"

"I enjoy my work too much. Helping people, saving lives. I'm hoping there's a point to my existence, even if I am damned."

Harley's eyes go wide. "Damned? You're not damned Doc." Bella stays quiet.

"Then you and I agree. But Edward doesn't believe there's an afterlife for our kind." Looking at Bella. "He thinks we've lost our souls."

Bella looks to him in realisation and annoyance at the discovery but quickly hides it. "That's why he won't... He thinks he'd be damning me." Harley tilts her head at this, her nose scrunched up.