♚〡THREE

"Eve, stop moving!"

Eve groaned as her friend, continuously plucked her eyebrows. They had landed a few hours ago in Moscow and went to a hotel to get ready. The girls were more than thrilled to be in Russia. They were all for traveling, and while they could not stay for a long time, they were happy to just be around for a little while. June was far better at makeup than Eve, so she was the one who did both of their makeup for important events.

"What is this ball for anyway?" June asked, finishing her handy-work.

"Oh, it's my dad's friend's birthday or something... I don't know, but we can dress up, so that's fun!"

June agreed and finished her friend's makeup. Eve went to get dressed in her gown as June did her own makeup. Eve wasn't the most confident girl in school. Her hair was not curly enough; her face still looked a bit childish even though she was turning eighteen soon, her lips were too thick, her hair was too thin...she had a lot of insecurities that she didn't fully work through yet. Maybe it was just a part of puberty. Eve smiled as she looked at herself in the mirror. For once, she had no doubts about her external or internal beauty. She felt like a princess with her long dress and her curled hair.

As she exited the bathroom, June was waiting in her red gown and black pumps. Her hair was delicately folded into an updo while Eve's fell down her shoulders in gracious locks.

"You look really pretty, Eve. Who did your makeup? It's amazing!" Eve smiled and laughed heartily.

"Oh. just this bitch named June," she joked.

"Are you ready?" June asked. Eve nodded, and they left their room to go meet her parents in the hotel lobby. June loved Eve's family; her mom was her second mom, and Austin always seemed to make her laugh. She was more than appreciative that they allowed her to come with Eve.

"Oh! Look at my favorite girls!"

June smiled at Jessica's cooing as she hugged her Eve. Jessica was wearing a black mermaid-style gown, and her hair was in a classy bun. Austin was in a classic and sleek styled suit. He looked dapper, even with his greying hair.

"You two look beautiful. I don't like how grown up you look," Austin sighed as he escorted them outside into the cold. It was mid-January which meant that the streets were icy and there was a fresh coat of snow covering the ground.

There was a town car already waiting outside, and the family jumped in, more than willing to get out of the cold.

Adlaric was going to die tomorrow. He'd accepted it, but others had not. Maybe when his head was laying on the floor, people would finally believe it to be reality. Beta Dimitri put on a brave and steady facade, but that was his job; just like his Alpha, he had to be strong in times of need. Though, Dimitri knew he would miss his friend. Dimitri and Adlaric grew up together, and now their time was nearing a conclusion.

It seemed surreal to the King who was sitting in his office with his bow-tie undone and a Scotch in his hand. His hand swirled the drink before he took a big sip of the burning liquid. He was sad; sad for his beloved mate, sad for himself, sad because he wanted more from his life. The King sighed and put the cup down. The knock at the door made him look up, and he gave the best smile he could muster. Dimitri gave a dazzling smile.

"Everyone is here, my King."

Adlaric nodded and choked back the rest of his drink before standing up and tying his bow-tie. "Let's go out with a bang, shall we?"

Dimitri nodded and grabbed his friend's shoulder as the two left the dark office. For a moment, the King glanced back at the place he worked so hard in for so long.