Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Iris Parker

I found Jace crying inside their closet. 

The triplets had been playing outside when all of a sudden, he left and hadn't returned from then on. I was more than terrified when I couldn't find him. I felt like he was taken away from me. 

I broke into cold sweats, my heart jumped out of my chest and the strength abandoning me. 

I searched the whole house and it was only at my second time going in the triplets' room when I heard little sniffs from the closet. 

As I opened the doors, I prayed with all my heart that he was inside and God must have heard my prayer because there he was. A great wave of relief dawned me and I could finally breathe. 

I rushed inside and hugged him. "Oh my goodness, Jace! I thought you were gone. Don't do that again!" I said, unintentionally raising my voice. But instead, his cries became louder. 

I let go of him to take a good look and tried wiping his tears away. What's going on? Why is he like this? 

My heartbeat was fast at the same time warm, the familiar hurting was there. 

"Jace, baby. What's wrong? Why are you crying?" I ask, trying to calm him down at the same time. 

However, he kept crying. Both of his hands were trying to wipe his tears but it was useless since his tears kept coming. "You can tell me, baby. What's wrong?" I tried again. This time, his ragged breathing was calming a bit.

"I--I want to s-see daddy." he said. His eyes were red of tears and his voice choked as he told me that. My heart sank and bled. 

Has it been that bad? If it has, then I have no choice. I have to call him... even if it's hard for me. 

"Okay, okay. Don't worry. I'll call him, okay? He'll come right away." I told him, trying my best at feigning a smile. His breathing has steadied and I wiped his tears away as he put his hands down. 

"Is that true, mommy? Can we really see him?" 

I nodded immediately. "Of course. Now, why don't you go downstairs with your brothers while I make the call?" 

Jace nodded slowly and left the closet while I grabbed my phone from my pocket and dialled Liam's number. I waited for a few rings before finally, I heard his deep baritone voice from the other line. 

"Hello?"

-----

I sat alone in my room, looking outside the window. I didn't cry, no. I was the one who was being selfish the whole time and in the process, I was just hurting the ones I promised myself never to hurt. 

I already knew it, but I ignored it. Again. It seems that I never learn from the same mistakes, do I? That's why I keep making the same mistakes. 

It's true. I can't just give the triplets something only to take it away. They should not be the ones to suffer from Liam and my issues. It's unfair to them and unfair to him. 

Right now, they were at Venialgo to spend the next few days with him. I didn't even see him when he came here. 

I got scared because even if I would never admit it, I missed him terribly so much too. When I heard his voice from the other line, I wanted to tell him how much I missed him, how much I needed him. I got scared because if I saw him again, I probably would ask him to take me back.