Skin [2]

Dean and Sam stopped at the car.

"You think he found another way underground?" Sam asked

"Yeah, probably. You got the keys?" Dean asked

Sam stopped and thought before turning around "Hey, didn't Dad once face a shapeshifter in San Antonio?"

"Oh, that was Austin. It turned out not to be a shapeshifter, it was a thought form. A psychic projection, remember?"

"Oh, right. Here ya go." Sam threw Dean the keys and walked away. 

Dean opened the trunk and observed all the weapons. He laughed. 

"Don't move!"

Dean turned and saw Sam pointing the gun at him.

"What have you done with him?" Sam asked

"Dude, chill. It's me, all right?" Dean asked

"No, I don't think so. Where's my brother?"

"You're about to shoot him." Dean argued "Sam, calm down,"

"You caught those keys with your left. Your shoulder was hurt," Sam noted

"Yeah, it's better. What do you want me to do, cry?"

"You're not my brother,"

"Why don't you pull the trigger, then? Hm? 'Cause you're not sure. Dude, you know me,"

"Don't,"

Dean paused before hitting Sam twice with a crowbar. 

Sam fell to the ground.

***

Sam woke up in a dingy, dusty room. His neck and hands were bound to a wooden post.

The shapeshifter walked over to him and backhanded Sam.

Sam groaned. "Where is he? Where's Dean?"

"I wouldn't worry about him. I'd worry about you," The Shapeshifter said

"Where is he?"

"You don't really wanna know." The Shapeshifter chuckled "I swear, the more I learn about you and your family-I thought I came from a bad background,"

"What do you mean, learn?" Sam questioned

The Shapeshifter stopped. He grabbed his head in pain and grimaced.

Sam looked at the shapeshifter, confused.

The shapeshifter relaxed and looked at Sam "He's sure got issues with you. You got to go to college. He had to stay home. I mean, I had to stay home. With Dad. You don't think I had dreams of my own? But Dad needed me. Where the hell were you?"

"Stay away from her!" Sam growled

The Shapeshifter leaned in close to Sam "See, deep down, I'm jealous. You got friends, You could have a life. Me? I know I'me a freak. And sooner or later, everybody's gonna leave me," he backed away.

"What are you talkin' about?" Sam asked

"You left. Hell, I did everything Dad asked me to, and he ditched me, too. No explanation, nothin', just poof. Left me with your sorry ass. But, still, this life? It's not without its perks." The Shapeshifter laughed "I meet the nicest people. Like little Natalia," he smiled and covered Sam with a sheet.

***

There was a knock at the door, and Rebecca looked at Natalia who was sitting in a booster seat as they were about to eat.

"Wait here, okay?" Rebecca moved to open the door. It was the shapeshifter, still in the form of Dean. "Oh. Hi,"

"I know what you're gonna say," The Shapeshifter said

"Oh, you do?"

"Well, no, not exactly,"

Rebecca leaned against the door, crossing her arms. "Where's Sam...I would've expected him to come pick up Natalia,"

"Thought I'd try to explain myself," The Shapeshifter smiled.

***

Sam was trying to get out of his ropes but failed. "Damn it," he heard movement in another area of the room, and Sam heard someone coughing.

"That better be you, Sam, and not that freak of nature," Dean called out

Sam laughed "Yeah, it's me,"

Dean managed to uncover himself from the sheet and started to undo his ropes.

"He went to Rebecca's, lookin' like you," Sam explained

"Well, he's not stupid. He picked the handsome one,"

Sam glared over at him "Dean he's going after Natalia,"

***

Rebecca and the shapeshifter were sitting in front of the fireplace. "So, you're saying that there's something out there that made itself look like my brother,"

"Mmhmm," The Shapeshifter said

"What'd you call it?"

"A Shapeshifter,"

Rebecca laughed and rolled her eyes

"Yeah, maybe we're crazy." The Shapeshifter said "But what if we're not? I mean, look, you said it yourself that Zack was in two places at once. Now, tell me how that can happen,"

"Okay, so, this thing-it can make itself look like anybody?" Rebecca asked

"That's right,"

Rebecca chuckled "Well, what is it, like a genetic freak?"

The Shapeshifter laughed "Maybe Evolution is about mutation, right? So, maybe this thing was born human but was different. Hideous and hated. Until he learned to become someone else,"

Rebecca looked around, uncomfortable as she heard Natalia cry to be let out of the booster seat.

The shapeshifter's eyes glinted silver, and he smiled.