(13-1) Vainglorious young fools yearn

Samuel felt his hands ball into fists, his teeth clench as both rage and fear began to carve into his stomach. Fear and rage, with horror and despair creeping close behind.

"Sir?" Samuel asked, as he glanced back at the granary tower. "Why?"

The look on Captain Raeth's face was eerily, disturbingly calm, and the simple, direct tone chose to respond with frightened Samuel more than any other moment in his life. "Why did I ask that? Inspector, you know the reason."

"Sir..." Samuel began to say.

Captain Raeth turned away and addressed the fires hovering above their heads again. "I've already checked for underground tunnels. There are none. We have them trapped in that little tower, and their only escape route is across an open field. We can spend a few minutes deciding what our next move ought to be."

"Who is he talking to?" Angela asked, stepping in close and resting her hand on his shoulder.

"The Crafters on the other Airships," Samuel explained.

"My orders stand," Captain Raeth said, and Sameul could see the hard steel in the airship captain's poise and posture. This tempered power was the man who had fought beasts of fire and brought down Golems. And the poor fools in that granary had made an enemy of him. "Maintain a slow patrol, keep between a quarter and a half-mile from the tower. Anyone who steps out of the building, give them a gentle warning with the Craft. The first person to step past that fence around the granary gets a warning shot. After that, aim to kill."

Captain Raeth paused a moment, then waved his hand. "Coraline, I'll meet you and Mathias on the edge of the garden grounds. Agrias will meet us there. And remember, this mess is Oversight's problem. They get to decide how we proceed from here."

Captain Raeth turned away as the small, fiery birds vanished in a puff of smoke. He marched across the deck, and looked up at the wheel. "Commander!"

There was a note in his voice as he called out to the ship's first officer, something Samuel might not have placed very well until this morning. A certain breathlessness, a small hitch in the voice. Small, barely noticeable.

In fact, if it weren't exactly how Samuel now said Angela's name, he would never have understood it.

"Take us over to the entrance grounds. Our guests and I will be disembarking. The ship is yours until then."

Lieutenant Kendor gave a short salute. A quick flick of two fingers off the eyebrow, rather than the standard military salute of a fist over the heart. She then swung the wheel and pulled a lever, and the ship slipped into motion with a swiftness more appropriate to bullets.

"Not bad," Captain Raeth mused quietly, and Samuel noticed the grin on his face. "Stabilized by the swivel propellers, easy on the clutch, smooth acceleration."

Louder, the captain said, "Been training for the Irondrome?"

Samuel smiled at the comment. The Irondrome was the single greatest spectacle of the City, a quarter square mile of track set aside for a rail race, with each district submitting only a single entry. To be a pilot in that competition required nerves of steel, incredible reflexes, and a treasure trove of good luck.

Lieutenant Kendor waved in response. "I'd like some glory that didn't come from being your shadow!"

Captain Raeth chuckled and shook his head. He turned to Samuel and said, "would you believe I've actually been banned from participating?"

"You were?" Angela asked, surprised.

Captian Raeth grinned. "Got the notice a week after the Sixth ended. Now Inspector Fraser, I ask again. In your professional opinion, has Amanda Destir talked?"