(13-2) Before weary age calls them to term

Dark clouds had settled over them, blotting out the sun and most of the Spire. The winds had picked up, enough that three of the airships were now hanging low above the ground. It felt as if a storm was building right over Samuel's head.

There was one mystery that kept niggling at Samuel as he crossed the field towards the granary building. One missing piece of information that wouldn't leave his thoughts as he stomped over grass and wildflowers, crossed over irrigation streams, and stepped around the small stone wall in front of the building.

He had been, just a minute ago, conferring with four different people. Samuel had watched Gerald return to his airship, and both Agrias and Crafter Estoban we're still there.

But the Fury's first officer had disappeared.

The mystery was actually a pleasant distraction. The open field he was crossing had been declared a no-go zone, an edict enforced by the guns of the airships, and backed further by some of the City's mightiest Crafters. His destination was a quarantined building, condemned because of the secret that a young woman knew, and the lover she was unwilling to abandon.

Overall, there were a lot of very good reasons to turn around and run.

Samuel fixed his gaze at the open door and tried to focus his thoughts.

The key to saving every life he could was getting Amanda Destir out, and confirming that her secret had not passed her lips. Even these cultists plotting insurrection, even Silas, could wait.He had to convince three people in order to get Amanda out.

First, Amanda herself. Second, Silas, who had spent the last few days trying to rescue her. Third, talk this cult leader Quentin into giving up their heart's desire.

Samuel grinned, trying to keep the terror from melting what was left of his resolve. His hand was shaking as he reached for the knocker on the door.

But he forced himself to pull the knocker back and cracked it hard against the door.

"Spit and ash! Are they trying to break in?" a muffled voice asked from the other side of the door. Samuel nearly laughed at the absurdity of the sentiment.

"I'm Inspector Samuel Fraser, with the Orderlies. I'd like to speak to Amanda Destir," Samuel bellowed at the door. "May I come in?"

"Open the door," a familiar voice ordered. Samuel was both relieved and irritated to hear Quentin again so soon. The door opened with a gentle clang, and Samuel stepped into a semicircle of people holding makeshift weapons.

In that semicircle, Quentin stood with his arms crossed, looking at Samuel as if he had just stepped in something unpleasant. Samuel spread his arms as one of the others approached him and checked his pockets. "Inspector Fraser. I'm not sure I'm happy to see you."

"Sir, what is happening out there?" The man patting Samuel down asked, his face pale. "We heard someone shouting about staying inside, but most of us were called upstairs to help prop up a collapsed wall."

"Quentin, how many innocents have you dragged into this mess?" Samuel said tersely, as one of the armed men began to search him for weapons. He needed to persuade three people to let Amanda leave, and ironically the hardest of the three might be the young man standing in front of him. "How many of these people are involved in this cult of yours?"

Samuel's question was met with so much silence he could hear the whirling of an airship's propellers in the distance.

"Inspector," Quentin said. "Perhaps we can discuss this upstairs?"

"You mean away from their ears?" Samuel asked in turn, gesturing to the other people in the room, most of whom were now looking at Quentin as if they had only just met him. "Do they even know what's happening right now?"