5. Last day of travel

"Haymitch?" Afton's soft rapping at my door was enough to make me peck from behind my eyelids. Maysilee's voice soon comes into hearing range from the other side of the door. "That's not going to get his attention. Move I'll do it." She pounds on the door with her fist causing me to encounter the floor. Her tone is harsh, "Come eat!" Even from inside my room I can hear her stomping down the hall, slamming the cart's door vigorously.

I lift myself up off the floor ignoring the pain in my chest from the fall. If I didn't show up in the dining room soon I will have to deal with Fae. She is the last person I want to hear from right now since I'm not in the mood to have my ears ring from the sound of her voice. Settling myself back on the bed, I get a clear look of my room for the first time.

The room's color is simple like everything else I have seen so far. The Capitol may be high tech with all the advance things they have; however, all the designing and color of the different decorations are more of an older, very simple style. The walls never seem to have much pattern; nonetheless, it is all still gorgeous. Even with the cultural designing you can still easily tell how advanced we are to this day.

Staying on the bed enjoying my last few minutes of peace I wrap the silk sheets around my shoulders. I can already tell that It's going to take some time to get use to all these expansive things, especially since the covers bug the hell out of me. The silk makes it where they always slip off me even when I'm lying down the sheets seem to shift. The smell and feel of them is delightful though. Gripping onto the material to make sure it stays around me, I pull the wad in my hands up to my face to inhale the fresh sent it gives off.

Home fills my mind when I think of Raven. She has never worked with silk before in the tailoring shop; it's her favorite material, but she usually only sees it when the Hunger Games come around. The Capitol people wear it on television a lot, even the tributes. Sometimes that would be all she talked about: what she always wished she had, and of course, how life could be so much better for everyone. The list she has built up never ends!

I rub the fabric in between my fingers examining the multiple diminutive darker spots that are now stains from my tears. I don't want to think about last night, about the feeling that was taking over me. The last time I cried was when my dad died a few years ago. It was the same as last night; I cried alone when no one was around. I'm not someone who lets their emotions show and I don't cry much at all. Though last night I had never left so a lone. Even when my dad left, I still had my brother and mom. Now, I am truly on my own.

I still have on the nice pants along with the white button up collar shirt I wore for reaping. After changing out of the clothes from yesterday, I head out to go eat. By the time I get there, empty plates are being removed, replaced with filled ones. Everyone is in the same seat they were in during dinner yesterday so I take mine by Maysilee.

I wasn't expecting Fae to mention anything about me being late, "What took you so long? We should be arriving at the Capitol tonight or by morning. Our schedule must be right. That means you need to be showing up on time. When we get there we have to be even more on schedule, one thing wrong and-" Ignoring her I look at the faces of everyone else who looks just as annoyed as I do. I give Gage my full attention when he taps the table in an attempt to get me to look at him.

He nods once at me while mouthing, 'Watch and learn.' Just as Fae takes a breath before continuing, Gage interrupts. "Can I have some steak?" Taking her focus off me, she looks at him puzzled. "Steak? How can you eat streak, that's not for breakfast." Maybe I could learn from Gage, it would be nice to be able to distract people as easily as he can. "Well, we are going into the arena soon and it will help me with some of my goals I wish to achieve before then. Get more muscle, have more protein-"

He faces Maysilee with a smirk before going on. "-gain a few pounds. Some of us need to do that last one. We don't want to look like we were starved or are weak." Raising an eyebrow, he looks Maysilee up and down widening his smirk. In return, she smiles generously at him. "I have another goal you can add to your list." Her face changes into fury instantly while squeezing the biscuit in her hands turning it into crumbs. "You can go fu-"

Fae cuts her off before she can get another word out, "Tate! You're not going to do anything? This is very bad manners!"

"Eh, kids will be kids." Popping a grape into his mouth, his eyes never leave Fae as she throws her napkin from her lap down onto her plate leaving the cart. Afton's eyes look glassy like she is about to cry. "Will she be alright?" She asks with a concern tone. "Oh, don't worry about her. We have gotten on each other's nerves for years now but she gets over it. We have grown really close, if you know what I mean." He nudges the air with his elbow while moving his eyebrows.

Gage releases a louder laugh than necessary. "A man from District 12, and someone from the Capitol being together-together? That doesn't even sound right. Why would someone from District 12 want a person who is all fancy and classy? Secondly, a Capitol person wouldn't want someone from the most pathetic District in Panem." When Gage is done Tate leans forwards waiting until we all lean in too, ready to listen.

"If you win, you can have anything, including everything you have ever wanted." Tate leans back into his seat tracing his fingertips along the details carved in his cane.

I was curious to how he planned to help us do that, "So, how exactly do we win?" All expression left his face as if he is remembering something. "If there is one thing I learned in the arena it's to never trust your instincts. It only causes trouble, pain, and especially regret."

The rest of the day goes by somewhat fast. All four of us spent half the day listening to Tate talk about his time in the games. He tells us mistakes he made so we won't do the same, simple survival tricks that can make a big difference, plus the good/bad things about having allies.

The other half of the day I spent exploring the train, finding ways to keep my mind occupied so the aching feeling I had last night wouldn't come back.

We are all seated in the lounge area -where we watched the reaping recap-when Fae eventually comes out. Just as Tate said, she is back to her cheerful self. If we were going to arrive in the Capitol tomorrow as I was told then I know I need to be fully rested.

"Goodnight everyone. I want to be ready for tomorrow," I say with fake enthusiasm. Fae gasp, "Haymitch you are really making up for this morning, I'm glad you listened to me." She holds her hands together smiling with her mouth open.

"Night honey!" Gage blows kisses at me while winking. I wouldn't be surprised if him joking around is what gets him killed in the arena. Everyone turns to make a disturbed face at him. "What?" I hear him question when leaving the room.

I take a quick shower in the bathroom connected to my room. The shower turns on with the push of a button with the others adjusting the temperature and strength of the water. Grabbing whatever nightclothes are on top in the dresser I change then curl up on the bed. I fall asleep thinking about how life will be after I win -if I win-. I can make District 12 a better place like Raven wishes, my mom won't have to work, and best of all my brother won't have to be in the reaping.

These are the thoughts I need to have if I am to face everything I have been dreading tomorrow. Mostly to not lose my sanity on this last day of travel.

__________________________________________

Sorry if you think the story is going to slow. The next chapter they arrive at the Capitol so things really pick up. This chapter is to mostly just to help set the feel of the characters, and to tie the last day on the train together.