7. Opening Ceremonies

Not wanting to hurt Arina's feelings, I give the best fake simile I can in my ability. My mouth tries to form words but fails as my thoughts are wrapped around the outfit she holds onto firmly. An alternated replica of what the miners wear is being show cased right before my eyes. Chalky coal black covers the uniform fading into darker then lighter shades of blacks. Along with the reflection from the light making few crimson red specks appear like glitter; barely noticeable. A dusty grey belt hangs onto the waist supporting only a mining pick. Great, another year of awful costumes continue for District 12's reputation.

Her eyes glint excitedly as I try to utter a word. "I-", Twisting what I really think around I collect my train of thoughts. "I think it's quite unique." Seeming as if she could walk on thin air, Arina grabs ahold of my hand to lead me to the full body mirror by the metal table. Without permission, she slides off the robe and helps me into my costume for the Opening Ceremonies. The costumes seem to get skimpier every year; the baggy coal mining outfits are not particularly becoming, but I would rather wear that than this though!

Getting a better look at the outfit, I avoid Arina's eyes while I survey myself in the mirror. The jumpsuit is skin tight enhancing the lines of my muscles to appeal stronger. My back is completely exposed all the way down to the lower part. The tool belt hangs loosely slanted so one side rest above my hip and the other at the top of my thigh. I can't image what the tributes a few years from now will have to wear; probably go stark naked covered in black powder to represent coal dust. Now that's something I hope I can live to see.

Arina rest her hands on my shoulders closing the space between us, feeling the chilled silky fabric of her blouse sooth my back. "I hear it usually takes at least an hour to get the guys ready, but you're already handsome enough. You don't need to be worked on."

A man barges into the room without invitation who I assume is the male off my prep team. It's clear he is trying his best to not fall over as he leans on a wall for support. "I have been running around everywhere looking for you!" His shoulders heave downward stressfully.

"I have been in here the whole time with my tribute. Why aren't you with yours?"

"Look I know I picked her, and I'm still glad I did but I need your help. She has to be ready in a couple of hours. Afton won't put her outfit on because she doesn't want people in public to see her in something like that. Please, can you just convince her that she is in good hands?" Arina releases a disappointing sign when dropping her arms to her side. Being so light on her feet, she doesn't make a sound as she leaves me by myself in the room.

A few hours pass by with me staring out the glass wall into the Capitol's dazzling, breathtaking sight. It feels like Arina was never gone when she comes back so Districts 12's tributes and stylist can meet up. Not getting any time to say a word to one another, we're hasted down to the bottom of the Remake Center, which intimately is a massive stable. Gage, Maysilee, and I hop into the last chariot in line as Afton's stylist hoists her up into it because of her short height. Having to fit four tributes on the chariot instead of two, Maysilee and I face one side. While Gage and Afton face the other way. Four charcoal black horses are strapped to the front of the chariot almost like statues for they don't move a muscles, keeping their head high. No telling how much training these horses have had.

After getting positioned in the right spot we all four turn around to examine each other's costumes. All of our outfits are the same thing with little key differences. Instead of the bottom half reaching to the ankles like tights, the girls are shorts that are a little too far up for what someone would wear every day. Their jumpsuits still have long sleeves with the opening that shows their entire back with plain solid black shoes. Maysilee has on the same tool belt that I do while Afton and Gage have on a dinky thin miners light headband. I don't blame Afton for not wanting to put on something that shows so much skin, especially knowing how shy she is.