Chapter Twenty Six

A comforting warmth cradled me tightly as I began to come back to consciousness. My body felt like it was swaying softly, rocking me like a baby. Rhythmic beating sounded against my ear, tempting me back to the peacefulness of the darkness but something inside me refused to go under again. Pushing me to wake up, wake up and open my eyes. The sound of hushed voices drove that inner part of me to fight even harder. All I wanted to do was sleep but that desperate feeling inside me had me fighting to open my eyes."She'll be okay. It will take some time for her to fully heal but she is going to be fine, Alpha Conan." at the mention of his name, everything came rushing back to me at once. The mountain, the rouges, the mysterious man and finally being attacked. Feeling my own life force slip away from me, every pain filled second. A small whimper passed through my lips causing the rocking to stop abruptly.

"Nikita?" His deep voice whispered next to me ear. Desperation hit me again as I fought against my own body. I needed to open my damn eyes, I need to see him. I need my mate, my love, my Dominic. My eye lids fluttered open for a split second, the morning light blinding me before my eyes slammed closed once again. I whined in frustration as my body betrayed me.

"It's okay love. You're very weak, you lost a lot of blood." I felt strong arms tighten around me, pressing me closer to the comforting warmth. As the fog in my mind cleared I realized I was being carried by Dominic, the sounds of twigs and leaves being crushed underfoot near by, told me that the pack was walking through the woods. My head laid on his shoulder, my face tucked into the crook of his neck as he cradled my body against his chest.

"Alpha, we should hurry back. She needs more fluids and possibly a blood transfusion." A familiar male voice spoke softly, wracking my brain I tried to place the voice to a face but couldn't picture them in my mind.

Dominic grunted in understanding as he began walking again, the long stride of his footsteps brought back the soft rocking sensation from earlier. My ears picked up on the many footsteps surrounding us, alerting me to the fact that many of us made it out alive. I could only hope we were all going to make it home safely. With my eyelids heavy I focused on the different sounds every individual footstep made. The differences between those still in wolf form and those who had turned back. The soft, almost fluttering sound of birds wings as they stirred from their tree top perches and flew away from the oncoming werewolf army approaching their resting place. The sound of a stream trickling near by, the water flowing gently over rocks and stones. As I focused on the sounds around me I knew we were getting closer and closer to the pack. Before long the sound of children laughing fell upon my ears, causing my heart to clench painfully. Jackson can't see me like this, he's already watched one mother die like this. He doesn't need to watch another one..

"Stop thinking like that." Dominic's deep voice startled me as well as the emotion behind them, he was angry. Pushing deeper into him, I found he was angry at me, for thinking that I was going to die. Swallowing hard I tried to speak but only soft squeaks would pass through my lips.

"Don't try to talk love, your windpipe was crushed by one of the rogues. You probably won't be able to talk for a day or two." He said, his voice becoming softer, soothing and calm. The sound of people running drew my attention as they drew closer to us.

"Alpha, Luna." A older sounding gentleman said.

"Rod, has her room been prepared?" Dom asked, getting straight to the point.

"Yes Alpha. We will asses her injuries right away. Everyone is prepped and ready, should she need any soft of treatment or surgeries." I groaned at the thought.

"She's conscious?" He asked, his voice giving away his disbelief.

"Yes and lucid, just unable to open her eyes or talk verbally."