Ch.18 A Banquet Gone Wrong?

"Why this dress!?" I asked looking at the horrid cloth in front of me.

"I think it looks cute on you!" Ren said a little too cheery.

"I'll pick out my own dress for the banquet and you can choose yours, deal?" I asked hiding that ugly thing.

"Deal!" she said looking through the long aisles of dresses.

I sighed. I can't believe I agreed to buy a dress with her, she's gonna steal my money away. Dammit, I hate clothes shopping.

I looked through the aisles and tried on many dresses. None appealed to me in any way. However Ren found the perfect one for her. It was knee length, a light blue, and had a flower print design. She tried to help me find one, but all the ones she picked didn't appeal to me.

I searched through an aisle, and saw something in the corner of my eye. I ran to the end and looked both ways. I listened closely, and could hear faint foot steps dashing off towards the right some where. It was just a customer. I loosened up and sighed. Sometimes I'm way too paranoid.

I went back down the aisle in defeat when I found the dress. I grabbed it and held it out in front of me. It was perfect. The dress came to my ankles, was long sleeved, had a bow that tied around me below my chest,was a dark purple with black stripes from the bow down, and had a black rose patterns down the sleeves.

" I think you found it!" Ren said from behind me causing me to almost bash her face in.

"God! Ren don't do that! I seriously could've hurt you!" I yelled.

"You would never hurt me though!" she said taking the dress from my hands. She nodded in approval and dragged me with her. "Lets pay then go buy some shoes!" she cheered. Which was returned with weird looks from the customers.

"Well this should be interesting," I mumbled as Ren payed.

................................

I looked into my back pack and saw the dress and shoes for tonight. I quickly zipped it up when I saw a figure come towards me. " Shouldn't you be ready yet? You did promise Mr.Z you'd wear a dress," I heard James point out.

I huffed," I know, I'll be ready in a few. Calm yourself." I got up and started to walk towards the bathroom to change. I felt a hand grab my wrist and hold me from walking further. I turned toward James," What is it?"

He had a serious face then put on a goofy smile. "You haven't shown me your new project yet! Can you show me now?!" he asked anxiously.

I sighed. There's no way out of this, "I'll show you, only if you keep your mouth shut about it."

" Understood!" He gave me a salute and stared off into nothing.

"Whatever just come on," I sighed dragging him into the project room. I took the key from my pocket and unlocked the door.

"Why do you lock the door?" James asked.

"So little kids like you won't come in and break my projects." He opened his mouth to protest, but then clamped it shut.

I walked over to the stand and uncovered my painting I had done. It was the painting I worked on over Christmas break. The one that was 'my spot'.

James's eyes widened in amazement. "Camie this is so cool! We have to show th-" I covered his mouth with my hand.

"You can not show the others; not until I'm ready." I uncovered his mouth.

"What do you mean? Aren't you ready? The paintings done!" He explained pointing at my painting.