12. Accept

The next morning, I wake up in the middle of the bed like the queen I feel like. My little head pops out of the heavy comforter to realize I haven't looked at my phone since we landed. I'm not even worried about it, until now. It's sitting in my purse... across the room. It could be dead. As I ponder, I hear a knock.

"Come in." I allow. 

Marcel comes in with a tray and two cups. Can I wake up to this every morning? I- I mean. Um. Not him! I'm talking about... I'm talking about the treatment.

"Good morning." He sits the tray on the bed.

"Good morning." I stretch under the covers, pulling them up to shield my pleased smile.

"How did you sleep?"

"I've been awake for 20 minutes and haven't moved. I slept great. How about you?"

"Well. Do you like tea?"

"Wow, we're really switching it up. Coffee to milkshakes and now tea. We're evolving. Yes." I untangle my arms from the sheets. He hands me the teacup and small plate. "Thank you."

"It's very hot." He warns as he slides the tray closer to me. I reach for the sugar.

"Is this normal for you?"

"Drinking tea? Yes." He takes a seat on the bed, sitting pretzel style. Cute.

"No, I mean going on trips with strange women?"

"You admit you're strange." He combs his fingers through his hair to get it out of his face. 

Shit, I don't even know what I'm looking like. Where's my bonnet? Besides me. Okay, we're a bit decent.

"Strangers." I correct.

"We're still strangers?"

"Generally."

"No, this isn't normal for me. Is it normal for you?"

"Anything but."

"I'm just looking to have a good time." He says. "I had a good time yesterday... minus the herring."

"Same here."

"Sorry I couldn't throw you a birthday party. Things were so last minute." He teases... he better be kidding.

"You must be joking." I chuckle. "My birthday was great. Thank you for bringing me along." I blow my steamy tea.

"You're welcome." He looks into his cup. "Thanks for wanting to spend time with me." I watch as he sneakily peeks up.

"Don't say it like that." I kick my leg, not hitting anything.

"Well." He shrugs and sips his tea. Stop. "It's hot." He points.

"Leave me alone."

"I saw the pictures you took yesterday. Why would you take a picture of me gagging on that repulsive fish?"

"To see this expression on your face." I simmer in it. His lips part in disbelief. "Classic." I create a camera with my fingers and wink as I tap the imaginary shutter.

Suddenly, my phone rings.

"Oooo, you're in trouble." Marcel mocks as I roll out of bed to get my purse. Once I dig up the device, I see a Facetime request from Ella.

"Shit." I debate declining the call. Accidentally, my finger brushes Accept. OH NO! OH NO!

As I run to the bed, my thumb covers the front camera long enough for me to get under the covers.