Eve: Part 4

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

May 19, 2010. Wednesday.

Eve jerked awake and sat up suddenly. This is not good, was her first thought. She had no clue where she was and whose bed she was in. Very, very bad.

“Okay,” she said to herself, taking deep breaths. “Start at what I remember first.”

Carey told her to go home. She high-tailed it out of the hospital, only to come to a standstill in the main lobby. Then she turned around and dragged herself back up to the fourth floor waiting room. She had a snack. Actually, she had a lot of snacks. Dr. LeBoeuf came over and talked to her. Then she sat there, gazing out the window at the nighttime city lights, growing sleepy…

And here she was.

It was morning. Eve began to panic. She’d never lost whole hours of time before. “This is sooo not good!”

She took her bearings. The room she was in had a double bed with a basic brown comforter and white sheets. The walls were painted white and the only other furnishings were a nightstand and a dresser. No pictures on the walls, no curtains over the blinds, no carpet on the hardwood floor. Two identical doors led out of the room.

She stood up and realized that she wore a man’s shirt and her panties. Oh, lord. This was getting creepier. Her clothes were folded on the dresser and her shoes were tossed in a corner. Quickly, she dressed and opened the nearest door. Closet. Barren, except some boxes on the floor.

Tiptoeing to the next door, she held her breath and listened. Wherever she ended up last night was quiet. Too quiet.

Peeking out the door, she saw a small hallway, also bare of wall hangings, and three other doors and an opening to the other half of the house. If this was one of those fun houses, where every door led to another door, she wasn’t humored.

She crept to the end of the hall and pushed open the wooden portal. Bathroom. A very nice bathroom. Slate tiles and starch white porcelain laid the foundation for the room. She noticed a shaving kit on the sink and a solitary toothbrush. Eve lifted the lid to the hamper. Dirty socks and boxer shorts spilled over the top.

Jesus, where was she?

Another door revealed a chaotic linen closet, and the last door before rounding the corner into a living area was another bedroom. This one had a king sized bed – unmade – and more piles of dirty clothes. Finally, she realized she was in a man’s home. A single man’s home, according to the minimum decorations and mountains of unwashed clothing.

So, who lived here?

Eve rushed through the rest of the tour. The living room had a leather couch and matching recliner facing a massive television. No rugs. No pictures. Only a few remote controls and a glass of water on one of the tables.

The dining room looked as though no one had used it in years. And the kitchen beheld a pile of dishes in the sink and a box of cereal on the tiled counter. A calendar hung on the refrigerator, bold red X’s on the dates. Yesterday’s block had a blue star, and a few other stars graced the month so far. She flipped back a few months. More red X’s and more stars. One date, about two months ago had a giant circle around it. The next week after that had stars on every day.