Chapter 10: Naughty Behaviours and Naming Heroes

Sitting down at the dining table the next morning, I opened the morning paper to find that almost on every second page there was something on the Fantastic Five. Pictures littered the newspaper of snapshots of us on the bridge. I couldn't believe how fast news had spread throughout the city. I had even heard rumour that there was radio stations and fanclubs about us. I wonder what our fangirls and fanboys were called. Reed and Ben sat at the heads of the table while Sue sat facing towards the kitchen, they were all quiet just eating their breakfast or in Ben's case trying to. He grabbed a whole bag of oranges and began squeezing the juice of them all into a glass bowl.

I chucked the paper aside not wanting to keep looking at the awful pictures the press had gotten of me. I got up to get a glass of orange juice just as Johnny came strutting into the kitchen looking like he was in a hurry.
'Alright guys lets make this quick, I've got a lot of places to go today...oh wait I don't go anywhere' he rambled on snatching the glass bowl from Ben's grasp. I hopped up onto the bench and dangled my legs over the side and gave Johnny a smile.
'Johnny its imperative that we stay inside for the foreseeable future' Reed spoke up, clearly irritated.
'I know, I know Reed but when you said that last time, my brain heard a little wee'
'Johnny it's too dangerous for you to be out in public' Sue stepped in.
'You've been saying that for years' Johnny remarked. I gave a very unattractive snort of laughter.

'Reed?' I asked him.
'Mmm?'
'How foreseeable? I don't really want to be cooped up like a mutant for experimentation'
'No one's going to experiment on you Maxine' he assured me, 'what worries me is that our powers are evolving'
'Tell me about it, I can have a shower in under two seconds' I added. I slowed down time till everyone seemed unmoving and snatched Johnny's wallet from his pocket. Time continued at normal rate.
'And it takes me less than half a second to steal wallets' I grinned as I waved it up in the air. I chucked it back to Johnny with a triumphant grin.
'I know I know, but guys I'm so close to flying, I can taste it' Johnny remarked, scrunched up a napkin and threw it onto the counter only for it to ignite on fire right by the cereal box.

Sue gave a laugh,
'You can't fly' she snickered.
'Yet'
'Johnny can you put that napkin out' she said gesturing to the extending fire.
'Oh Jesus' Johnny tried to put it out with his hands only to spread it even more till I swear he was going to burn the whole counter. I grabbed my orange juice glass and chucked it over the fire, the flames gave a loud sizzle and died out. I lifted my eyebrows at Johnny as though to say "don't make it complicated".
'So what's going on Reed?' Ben grumbled, 'How are you gonna cure us?'
'I'm going to build-'
'Ahem' I interrupted, 'we, we are gonna build' I pointed out.
'Sorry, we're gonna build a machine to recreate the storm, the cosmic rays will travel from this generator into this chamber'
'What no pop-ups?' Johnny interjected.
'Oh genius' I frowned at him and took a seat next to him. Reed just ignored him and continued,
'If I can reverse the wave signal-'
'It'll return us back to normal' Ben finished for him.

'Right, but what are the risks?' Sue posed. At her question Reed's expression turned down,
'Even a small miscalculation could increase our symptoms expedientially or even kill us'
'Now dying that's bad right? I say we just sleeping dogs lie guys'
'Girls actually' I pointed out me and Sue.

'Hilarious Max' Johnny deadpanned and kissed my cheek out of the blue. I imagine I was blushing because my cheeks felt really hot. Sue grinned at me but gave her brother a death stare.
'So how long till this contraptions up and running?' Ben asked Reed,
'I don't know it's hard to say' Reed replied nervously.
'How long Reed?!' Ben shouted. I clenched my jaw and almost jumped, I didn't like it when he was angry.
'I don't know-'
'You don't know!' Ben's mouth fell open, his rocky brow furrowed.

'We don't want this is get worse' Reed added.
'Huh worse than that?'
'Johnny' I snarled at him.
'Guys looks, we're gonna be stuck here for a while so lets just try and get along' Sue ordered.