11

thursday, feb 11

I spot her right as she exits Biology.

Of course Mona’s one of those nerds who take Biology IV plus AP courses and still maintain an off-the-charts GPA. I smirk as she stumbles out of the doorway, trying to balance her books. One of them at the top — Leaves of Grass by Whitman — is teetering off the edge. I catch it right as the entire stack’s about to fall to its doom.

“Oh, thank you so much—” She sees my face. “Oh. Adrien. Hi.”

“What, no thank you for me? I’m hurt, Mona, hurt.”

“Don’t be a baby, you—” She stops herself, as if remembering that she’s furious with me. But then a small smile plays on her lips and she says, “While you’re here, help me carry these books.”

I blink. “What? Why? Aren’t you mad at me?”

“Do you want me to be?”

“No, but why do you want me to carry your books?” I almost say That’s a boyfriend move but figure no good will come out of that.

And I still don’t know why she’s forgiven me so quickly. I was prepared to fight a long, hard battle.

Mona answers, “Because despite whatever notions my brain is preaching to me, I do believe chivalry is not dead. Now help me, Adrien, or face my wrath.”

I don’t doubt the wrath.

Immediately, I grab her stack. With an oof!, I manage to balance everything and I follow her down the hall.

“So,” I grunt with as much force as the weight of the books will allow, “I need to talk to you.”

“About?”

“About the movie nights. My mom took away my car.”

She snorts. “Nice going. Well, I can drive you to my house after school if you—”

“Oh, no no no, that’s unnecessary.”

“Right, because I’m Mona Lieber, and Adrien Finkwell O Mighty God can’t be seen with such a paramecium as I.”

“I didn’t say—”

“Come on, we’re almost to Psychology,” she says, quickening her pace.

“You take Psychology?”

“Yup, and it’s loads of fun. Actually, I have it with your girlfriend, although she rarely talks to me. I also have it with Paul, although he’s too busy staring at your girlfriend’s rack to talk to me. What was that you were saying about him liking me?”

“Well, I—”

“Adrien!” a new voice squeaks. Oh, hell. Alyssa. And I’m carrying some other girl’s books. Not good.

I drop the books on Mona and she gives a little grunt of disapproval, but it barely registers in my mind.

“Hey, Ally,” I greet. She looks pretty as always in a springtime dress, probably in occasion of the game tonight.

She glances at Mona, who squeaks a little hello and walks into Psychology. It’s the shyest I’ve ever seen her, and it’s incredible. Where can I learn to shut her up like that?

“Uh,” Alyssa says after watching Mona disappear, “what was that?”

“What was what?”

“You carrying Mona’s books.” She jabs her thumb backwards.

“No, nothing, I was...” I scratch my head, and this somehow causes a brain blast to occur. “I was talking to her so I could get info for Paulie.”