Chapter 8

I hadn't wanted to leave my room. Of course, I'd wanted nothing to do with any part of this situation. Ideally, I'd have never met the man sitting across my kitchen table from me. Here we are though, sitting both waiting for the other one to speak in awkward silence. Sometimes he starts to say something, but always stops himself.
I suppose it doesn't really matter what he says. Nothing he could possibly do or say would make me want to have anything to do with him. Thinking back, I still feel the pain that accompanied his conquests. Now it is my neck that aches the most. Unhealed cuts and bruises still adorn my body from his temperament. Still, I can't leave. He won't let me.
I can't believe he told me he was sorry. Sorry means nothing. If he felt any remorse for what he had done to me then wouldn't he have let me go? I just want to pack all my stuff and leave as soon as I can. I want as much space between as possible and hopefully, some steel bars too. Nothing he could possibly say would change how I feel. I terrified and furious at the man before me, but he won't go away.
Why does he subject me to this? What have I ever done? Why can't he just leave me alone?
All I wanted was a peaceful life. I never did anything to make myself noticed. I only ever flew under the radar and kept my head down. I lived my life never dating and making very few friends in the hope of avoiding danger. I always knew that being a young woman alone in the world was a dangerous thing so I did everything I possibly could to keep myself from the same fate as many others. Yet, here I am, sitting across from a monster.
A horrid predator is all that he is. I suppose the name Apex would suit him if only he deserved a name. Monster is all he gets.
And still, he isn't talking. He's not explaining what God-awful thing he thinks I did to deserve all this or why he won't let me go. He doesn't say why he insists on torturing me like this.
"What's your plan?", I ask knowing this conversation must begin somehow. He seems almost grateful that he doesn't have to say the first words. He should.be grateful. We both know that he owed me the beginning of this conversation.
"Well I was hoping that you could move in with me first", he says with a hopeful expression. Move-in with him? Who in their right mind would ever move in with this maniac? All I want is to be as far away from him as possible.
"That's not going to happen", the expression falls.
"Why not?", he asks, "it's a perfect plan". Is he really that delusional? A perfect plan for who? All I can think it'd be good for is bringing me pain. Of course, he does seem to enjoy that.
Stewing in my hatred I don't interrupt so he keeps going thinking that he can convince me.
"I have a big house with a yard and everything. Its be much more comfortable than this duplex. There are so many people there that I know would love you. You'd be close enough to make sure you're safe-".
"How would I be safe when you'd be there with me?", I ask letting the agitation slip into my tone. I don't want his house or yard. I want the coziness of my own small home. I worked my ass off for this place. The love that he is offering is useless. I refuse to believe that the is anyone in his life that would 'love' me. If there was then where were they when I was trapped and screaming under his bed. Even if someone did, I wouldn't want it. I only want him gone.
His hands clench into fists and his jaw tenses.
"You're always safe with me", he grits out.
"No, I'm not". A growl tears from his throat as he throws the table between us to the side with a loud crash. His chair falls back and dents the wall behind him. I have no time to react as his strong hands wrap around my throat. I instinctively claw at his hand immediately.
"You are safe where I say you are", I swear the walls shake with the force of his booming voice.
I feel my eyes water from both fear and lack of oxygen. He doesn't seem to notice my desperation as he continues to glare down at me through dark eyes. I am keeping trying to remove his grip from me in vain. My efforts quickly weakening as things begin to get fuzzy. Maybe this is the end. My head feels like it's going to explode. My ears almost seem to be ringing. When the black splotches begin to take over my vision, I let them, anything to escape the constant pain that he has brought into my life. I feel myself drifting away. A feeling I've been becoming accustomed to lately.
God I hope that this time I won't wake up. I can't stand the thought of coming to again just to see this nightmare man standing over me. I just want it all to be over, it's not like anyone would miss me. No one had ever even reported me missing.

 No one had ever even reported me missing