Chapter 23

In the following days, Felicity gave more classes to her students, both witchcraft and homeschooling. Thanks to the witches’ brew, Miles recovered quickly from his bout of flu and participated fully. Miles particularly enjoyed learning more about herbalism in the green house, eager to learn more about the skills and ingredients involved in making potions like the one that shortened his illness.

Sam continued to bring Mallory her meals and Felicity was increasingly wondering just what the council was going to do with her, especially given Miles’ wishes. The boy witch himself avoided his mother, never visiting her in her room in the basement, instead growing closer to Felicity. He felt almost guilty for not visiting Mallory, but he figured she would not be happy to see him.

When the students were not in class, they were getting ready for the holidays which were fast approaching, decorating the mansion with wreaths and garlands.

One night, a week before the big day, Felicity brought in a tall tree to decorate in the living room. Felicity invited her students to change to their pajamas and join her in the living room to decorate the tree and drink some hot chocolate. Everybody took part in the activity, surrounded by boxes of garlands and ornaments. Elly, Miles and Reagan placed the decorations on the tree as Marina, Carrie Anne and Sam handed the baubles to them. Felicity looked on to her students, endeared by their enthusiasm. Reagan was just a little bossy, telling the others how to decorate the tree, while Miles and Elly were just happy to be there.

As the tree was increasingly populated with the holiday trinkets, Sebastian interrupted the group and brought them a tray of hot chocolate mugs and marshmallows. As they completed the decorating, the young witches and Sam took breaks to steal sips from their drinks. Miles was completely delighted, and Sam was overjoyed with his friend’s good mood, even though the celebrations were nothing special to him. They did remind him of his family, whom he missed dearly. But he knew that, for Miles, this was just wonderful.

When the tree was fully decorated, the group sat on the living room couches, enjoying the rest of their drinks, taking in the result of their hard work. The tree shone like it was covered in precious stones.

Felicity turned to Miles, whose eyes were shining with the reflection of the holiday lights. “You seem to be having a good time,” Felicity stated, covering herself with a blanket with one hand and holding her hot chocolate in the other. “I’m really glad to see that.”

Miles turned his attention from the tree to his teacher. “Well…” he started, “I haven’t celebrated the holidays much in the past few years, not since my dad passed. But I really liked celebrating with him. I remember him feeding me candy canes when my mother wasn’t looking.”

“Your father seems to have a special place in your heart,” Felicity added, compassionate.

“That he does,” Miles answered. “I miss him every day.”

“I’m so sorry for your loss,” Felicity continued, trying to hide her frustration that Mallory was still living, almost unpunished, in the basement of her compound.

Sam looked on to his friend, too. Even though he missed his family, at least they were still alive.

Miles tried to change the topic. “I was wondering… Don’t students here go home to their families sometimes?”

His question brought a bit of grumbling from the students. Miles and Sam were taken aback.

“Not all of us get along well with our families,” Marina explained, placing her mug on the side table by the couch she shared with Elly. “Most of us come from non-magical families. There are tensions. For instance, my parents are a little mad that I almost burnt down their house when I was little…”

“You think your mother is bad, Miles,” Reagan started, looking into her cup as she spoke with attitude, “my father used my teleportation powers to rob banks. We don’t talk much.”

Sam furrowed his brow, leaning in to look at Reagan, past Miles. “Mallory literally murdered her husband, and Miles,” he let out resentfully, “several times.”

Miles placed his hand on Sam’s forearm, trying to calm him down.

“This is not a competition,” Felicity intervened. “Besides, we are all here together. We are family. Let’s enjoy our time together.”

The witches tried to smile, though Reagan and Sam were still a little irritated. The group continued talking as they sipped the rest of their drinks. Sam could not help but wonder how, if at all, he belonged with the witches. More than ever, he missed his family. But he was glad to have Miles around. It was difficult to be bitter when the boy sitting next to him was so enchanted.