Chapter 4

Sorry that this took quite some time. School has started and I've been busy :(

Seeing people read my story makes me want to write for you all lovely people more :)

Enjoy! <3

____________________________________________________________________

I stared at the phone for a long time.

I have been reminding myself to call Adam to discuss about our project. However, now that I am sitting on my bed, phone in hand, I am chickening out. I have even punched in his number on my phone. All I have to do is press the call button.

Come on, Anna. This is your shot!

I sighed and tapped the call button. One part of me was teasing me on how easy it was to press that button. The other side was screaming like I had done a crime. I was keeping track of the debate going on in my head when-

"Hello?" came a voice on the other line. It sounded stressed, tired. Uh-oh.

"Hi Adam, this is Anna. Anna Summers," I blurted. My heart was pounding so hard, I could hear the blood gushing in my ears.

"Who? Oh right, right. Anna. Hey." His voice sounded irritated at first, but suddenly turned cheerful.

"Erm... I called to discuss about our Lit project," I said, straight to the point. I tried to hide the nervousness in my voice.

"Yeah. I was thinking next Friday. Are you free?"

Today was Tuesday, that gives me three days to prepare myself (mentally). I can wait, can't I?

"Yeah, sure..." I trailed off. There was an awkward silence. My cheeks started to grow hot. I did not know if I should say something.

"Okay... Then its settled. Friday, 5 in the afternoon, my house. Do you need me to walk you to my house?" His voice sounded cheeky, I could imagine the smirk on his face as he said that. I didn't feel embarrassed this time though.

"I have feet, I can walk on my own. How far is four blocks, anyway?" I said, and almost regretted it. Had I sounded too harsh?

"Sure, sure. I was just giving a friendly suggestion," He laughed. This conversation was getting more comfortable by the minute.

"Alright. I think that's all, see you tomorrow then," I rushed quickly.

"Okay. Bye."

The line cut off and I lay back on my bed and stared up at the ceiling. This was going well. I just talked to Adam Kinder! I urged myself to remain calm and returned to doing my homework. I decided to turn in early as I had swimming practice tomorrow. My first swimming practice, with the team. I smiled and succumbed to the comfort of my bed.

*******

"Come on, get in the pool. This isn't the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, girls, move faster!" Coach's voice boomed across the swimming hall. I picked up my pace after grabbing my goggles and dipped myself into the pool. I started swimming five laps, like what the others have started doing. When I came back to the surface for air, I realised I was one of the fastest. It was either the other girls were slow, or I had been swimming real fast.

"Summers, impressive. No offence, but your performance could be greater improved if you lose some weight."

I glanced in the direction the voice came from and came face to face with Dakota. Yeah, the same guy who called me Fat Chick.

"Would that do you any good?" I deadpanned, my voice wavering a little. Well, that hurt a little. I am a human too, I have feelings.

"No, but you'll be doing the school a favour. We would appreciate drier grounds near the pool. Your cannonball dive really... Makes an impression," Dakota said, smirking. I was just about to say something insulting, when Adam popped out of nowhere.

"Show's over, Dark. Let's go train," Adam slapped Dakota on his back, as a 'hello' gesture. Guys.

When Adam successfully tolled Dakota away, he turned back and flashed me a wink. I smiled gratefully and went back to join the team. What Dakota had said really striked a chord in me. Maybe I should start to work out to shed some pounds. I toyed with that idea for the whole of swimming practice.

Practice ended at 6, and I pulled out of the pool after Coach debriefed us. I grabbed my towel on the bleachers when one girl, Naya- who was also on the swim team- popped out of the blue. She was in my grade and in the popular group, along with Adam and Dakota.

"Hey. You." She started. I didn't like her tone immediately.

"Do you need any help?" I replied, nonchalantly.

"Duh. I saw you acting all cosy with Adam. Well, back off. Stop staying on cloud nine with your crazy dreams, Elephant. Come back to Earth. Adam would never like someone like you." She spat and walked off, giving me a last glare. She swayed her hips and carried on towards the washroom, flipping her wet blond hair over her shoulders.

I stood there, standing on the bleachers, tears slowly streaming down my cheeks. I've never been slapped with such vicious words before. Even when Dakota was teasing me, I had just shrugged it off. Dakota was just joking around with me, he has been ever since kindergarten.

I wiped my tears with my towel and made my way towards the changing rooms, still thinking about what Naya had said to me. I was so clouded with disappointment and sadness. She had even called me an elephant! That thought alone made me feel so small. Well, ain't she the Elephant now?

My head was filled with so much confusion that I did not notice the wet puddle that lay ahead of me. I slipped, and was airborne for three seconds, before crashing down on the floor. My head collided with the ground and everything faded and went dark. I could vaguely hear a girl's laughter. Naya's laughter.

Black spots danced across my vision, before fading to black. Noise sounded like bees, buzzing in my ears.

_____________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter guys... I hope this is good enough though.

So... what do you guys think? Hate Naya? What do you think will happen next?

Leave comments, vote and fan :)

Thanks and big love xx