Nightfall, Chapter 29

Keefe would've face-planted onto the deck if Sophie hadn't grabbed his arm before he hit. "Whoa, you're catching me?" he asked.

"I know—what's happening to the universe?" Sophie caught him again.

———

Drenched strands kept whipping her cheeks, and she scooted closer to Keefe, partially to shield herself behind him, but mostly because he was slumped against the rail like a piece of soggy laundry.

"You okay?"

"Oh yeah, never better." He looked as gray-green as the river.

———

Keefe whimpered. "Someone hold me."

He was so pale and soaked and shaky that Sophie had a feeling he wasn't kidding. And since she couldn't stop shivering herself, she moved behind him, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and pulling them both down so they were sitting on the slick deck, leaning against each other.

———

"Hey," Keefe said. "You know what I remember most about that flight with Silveny? That was the first time I felt you trust me. Like, really trust me."

It was also the first time that Keefe had peeled back his joking, teasing mask and given her a glimpse of the deeper, serious side he hid away to keep anyone from getting too close to him.

"I like it when you trust me," he said quietly.

"So do I."

He scooted ever so slightly closer.