Chapter 42

"Excuse me?" I said in a state of confusion, standing completely still on the steps of the staircase.

I clutched onto my daughter protectively as I tried to contain my anger at this woman who flat out called me a whore without any second thought. I had no idea who she was, yet she had the nerve to stand in front of me and disrespect me.

"You heard me." She seethed, taking a step further.

Austin immediately came in between us, his back facing her.

"Amelia." He said cautiously, as if he was trying to figure out how exactly to diffuse the heavy tension in the air.

But as much as his soft voice soothed my nerves, I was beyond pissed. 

"First of all you don't even know me. How exactly am I a whore?" I snapped. I was fuming at this point.

Who was this girl? What the hell was she even doing here? And most importantly, why was she calling me a whore?

"You knew I was dating Austin, yet you snaked your way back into his life and stole him from me! We were happy until you came back into the picture!" She shouted, her fists curled up at her sides.

I guess this is his ex girlfriend that he was dating when I was pregnant, I thought to myself.

I looked at her in disbelief. I was at a loss for words.

"Amelia go to the kitchen with Ava." Austin said in an extremely low tone. He moved closer in front of the girl, shielding me and Ava from her. He looked as if he was trying to contain his emotions as he clenched his jaw.

I opened my mouth to speak but I decided against it as Ava began to babble in my arms, reaching out as she saw her dad. She started to cry when Austin didn't take her from me.

"Don't cry sweetheart, daddy will play with you later." I whispered to Ava as Beth continued to glare at me from behind Austin.

"Please." Austin said as he walked closer to me. His eyes pleading with mine as if he wanted nothing more than to remove me and Ava from the situation. 

I nodded and slowly walked down the remaining steps towards him while he placed his hands on my hips.

"I'll be right there." He said before placing a kiss on Ava's cheek and letting go of me.

I walked off towards the kitchen, pretending to mind my business, though I was desperately trying to overhear their conversation.

I knew I shouldn't be doing this but I couldn't stop myself from listening in on what they talking about.

But all I heard was silence.

Suddenly I was startled when Austin's usually calm voice echoed loudly throughout the house.

"Are you fucking kidding me Beth?! What the fuck is your problem?!"

"Them Austin. They are my problem. I want you back and they're in my way!" Beth cried.

"They are my fucking family. I told you, us getting back together is never going to happen. We are done."

"She ruined everything. We were doing fine when she wasn't in our lives!"

"We weren't fine and you know it Beth."

"So I guess you got exactly what you wanted. Your heart was never really in our relationship was it? You used me after she left you and now that you have her back, it's like we meant nothing?" I heard Beth say.

What was she talking about?

"Beth, I don't want any drama." Austin said in an exhausted tone. "Just take your stuff and leave."