5. Photo albums and lost memories

A voice echoed in Jungkook's head.
"Cherry blossom. Cherry blossom."
He awoke in a cold sweat.

As they all gathered round for breakfast, Namjoon spoke up.
"So, I've decided who going to where. Jungkook Jin and Hobi are going to go to the address on the envelope. Jimin and Taehyung will guard the ladder while Yoongi and I go into the attic to figure out what the hell is up there."
Once they had agreed on what to do, breakfast was eaten in silence.

Hoseok knocked on the door. It was only a second before a girl opened it and asked who he was.
"Hi um I'm looking for Kim Daehyun. We want to ask him some questions about someone he might have known."
"Sure. Come on in. I'm his niece, Jisoo."
Jisoo lead the trio to a man in his thirties. He was sat in a chair, staring out the window.
"I'm afraid he doesn't talk anymore. He had a car accident not to long ago and lost the ability to speak. He can still write though so feel free to ask him anything.
Daehyun picked up a writing pad and wrote something down.
'You're here about your house, aren't you?'
"How did you know?"
'There's only one person I've known who you would want to ask about. You're here because of Y/n'

Namjoon and Yoongi were waiting for Tae and Jimin to guard the bottom of the ladder. Once they entered the room, Yoongi spoke up.
"Call for us if anything happens. We probably won't have phone service up there snd we don't know how big it is so you'll have to scream at us if you need us."
"Good luck Hyungs."
With those words of encouragement, they went up the ladder. Namjoon put his torch on and looked around the room. His eyes landed on a box in the far corner. As the two approached the box, they felt uneasy. Namjoon opened the box and Yoongi reached inside, pulling something out.
"A photo album, that could be useful."
Yoongi went to reach into the box once more when he heard the two boys at the bottom of the ladder scream. Instinctively he picked up the box and ran with Namjoon back to the hatch. Climbing down the ladder they saw a pale face Jimin. Tae was in his arms, unconscious on the floor.
"What happened?"
A concerned Namjoon asked.
"We saw a boy in the doorway!"

"What do you know about Y/n?"
Jungkook asked.
'I know everything. He was my closest friend. It's such a shame what happened to him. Never hurt a soul and yet he suffered.'
"We saw a drawing, it was of you. The date on the back was from ten years ago. We wondering if you could tell us what happened to him."
'He was such a pure soul. Had a passion for his music and his art. People round here thought he was strange. Hardly spoke, never made eye contact. Then one day I spoke to him. Really he was just a lonely person who just needed someone to talk to.'
Daehyun pauses for a moment before continuing to write.
'He was always playing the same song.'
He started to hum and they all stared at him wide eyed.
'You've heard him hum it too, haven't you? I went there after his death, wanting to see his room one last time. I just couldn't find the key to his door however. I never forgot the humming I heard coming from his room, almost as if he was in there, calling out to me'
Jin glanced at Hobi and Jungkook.
"Thank you ever so much for telling us about him."
Daehyun scrawled down one last note before folding it and handing it to Jin.

Tae soon regained consciousness. When he awoke he noticed a tearful Jimin, talking to Namjoon, Yoongi and the others who had just returned home. Jimin saw Tae sit up and ran over to him.
"Are you okay?"
"I'm fine, still shaken up but at least I'm alive."

"So this boy, what did he look like?"
"I couldn't see him too well, he didn't look like he was actually there, kinda like he was see through. I was too focused the fact that everything he was wearing looked soaked in blood. I couldn't even tell what hair colour he had, all of it was dripping with blood."
The boys were all shaken up when Jin remembered the note he was given.
"Daehyun gave me a piece of paper, I haven't checked what it says on it yet so maybe he knows something that he didn't want to tell us right away."
He pulled the note out of the pocket and unfolded it. Jin's face became pale and he had to sit down.
"Check the basement? This place doesn't have a basement."
Namjoon read from over Jin's shoulder.
"Not that we know of. We didn't know this place had an attic either but it does. Maybe there might be something in the box I grabbed. There's got to be something we're missing."
Yoongi grabbed the box and tipped it out onto the floor.

The box was mostly filled with old news papers, all of them at least ten years old.
"There's nothing here! It's all just newspaper."
"Well, we could try looking through the photo album."

Jimin picked the photo album up off of the table. Turning through the book, the boys noticed that most of the photos were of a small boy. He had h/c hair and was fairly short.
"That has to be the boy we saw!"
"He looked older than he does there but that has to be him."

They kept looking through the album. It was mostly filled with photos of the boy they had seen. Then they got to the last page.
"Oh my god."
Jungkook finally realised what the voice in his dream had been talking about. The last photo was of the cherry blossom tree. Near the base of the tree was what appeared to be a hatch. It was covered slightly but the handle was clearly visible and when Jungkook saw it, everything pieced together for him.
"That's the door to the basement! It has to be! I had a dream last night and there was this voice, he was telling me about the cherry blossom tree. I think he's trying to lead us to the basement."

That night, they decided that they'd investigate in the morning when it was lighter. After they all went to bed, Namjoon realised that he couldn't sleep. Something was nagging at the back of his mind and his gut feeling was telling him to leave the house.

"Help me Namjoon."
There at the foot of his bed, a boy no older than twenty was pleading for his help. His skin was slightly translucent and most of his body was coated in blood. He laid there frozen.
"Please Namjoon, come with me. Help me."
Despite every fibre of his being telling him to scream for the others, he sat up, got out of bed and followed the boy.

The boy lead him to the front door and Namjoon reluctantly followed, not even wearing any shoes. Then they got to the cherry blossom tree. Sure enough, a rusted metal hatch sat there, underneath some fallen leaves.
"Follow me Namjoon, let me show you what happened."
And with that, Namjoon opened the hatch and climb down the ladder.