Chapter Eighteen

She was settled in her new room, half the things from her luggages unpacked. Her room was bigger than the one she had in her brother-in-law's mansion. The huge window gave her a good view of the garden at the back of the house. She didn't expect this kind of luxury. Although she kind of knew that Yvo was of upper middle class background given his sophisticated personality and him being a biochemist research scientist, hindi niya akalain na ganito kayaman ang lalaki. Sure, doctors make a lot of money, but they weren't exactly the one percent like her brother-in-law and probably Tate.

"Hey, do you need help?" Yvo popped his head through the door of her room as she was arranging her clothes in the closet.

"Okay lang. Matatapos naman na ito." She answered.

"It's almost dinner and you still haven't eaten anything." Yvo stepped into her room.

"Okay lang ako." She tried to stop herself from sniffling as she didn't want him to know that she had been crying.

"Hindi ka dapat nagugutom. You need as much nutrients as you can get." He eyed her flat stomach. She had gained half an inch around her waist when she measured it yesterday but other than that, the bump wasn't showing yet. "Nagpaluto ako ng ginataang gulay. I figured maybe you'd like that. I know you miss your family but I promise you, I'll do my best to make you feel more at home here."

He said what she needed to hear right now. She guessed she just wanted the comfort of knowing that she was utterly not alone in this. Even when she had been an asshole to him earlier when she was throwing a fit, he was still here for her.

"Thank you, Yvo." She gazed down at her feet, feeling embarrassed by how she had acted while in the car with him and all those words she said.

"Don't worry about it. Come on! The food is waiting." Aya nito sa kanya. 

Bumaba sila sa dining room kung saan nakahain na ang pagkain. The smell of the food instantly made her stomach growl in hunger. She hadn't notice how hungry she was until now. Huling kain niya ay breakfast pa kanina bago siya umalis sa bahay ni Migs, hinatiran siya ng Mammy niya ng pagkain dahil nahihiya siyang magpakita kay Saskia at Migs.

"I already scheduled an appointment with an OBGYN." Yvo said as they were eating.

Yuka had to pause and look at him. "Bakit ginagawa mo ito?"

"What?" Yvo furrowed his brows.

"This! Why do you have to do this?" Her voice trembled with a slight growl.

"We have to make sure that you and the baby are okay." He answered, albeit confused as to why she was getting mad at him.

"Paano kung hindi sa'yo ito, ha?" She asked in a low tone. It embarrassed her still that she had no clue on who the father was. "Ni hindi ko nga alam kung kanino ito. Bakit kailangan mong akuin ito?"

"Because if I don't, who will?" Yvo sighed and tightly shut his eyes, leaning against his seat. "Nakausap ko si Tate, Yuka."

Her spine involuntarily straighted and her body stilled when he said Tate's name. It had been quite awhile since their last conversation. It ended miserably. She hated him for turning his back on her but it would be a lie to say she stopped hoping he'd changed his mind. Baka nabigla lang ito at ngayon ay handa nang panagutan siya. 

"A-ano'ng sabi niya?" She finally mustered the strength to ask.

Yvo had to take a sip of water before he spoke. "I guess he couldn't accept the situation we were in. I'm sorry..."

Napahawak ng mahigpit si Yuka sa kutsara't tinidor na nasa kamay niya, tears began to blind her visions as her jaw clenched. She felt betrayed by the first man she ever genuinely loved. "Bakit? Sa tingin niya gusto ko itong nangyayari? Sabi niya mahal niya ako, bakit pinabayaan niya ako?"