3.2 Bookworm's Review

Paying for His Mistakes
Bookworm's Review

Date: 2016
Status: Completed

One Sentence Description

It's a timeless and tearful story that will forever occupy a large space in my heart.

Plot
★★★★★

I love it. I love the conflict. I love the development. I love everything. This is the highest rating I gave. The title speaks the plot, really. It is the start of everything.

A factor why the story is effective is because the stakes are high. The protagonist went through so much horrible things and the developments makes things even harder for her.

It's full of tension on every single page. I can't get over it after all these years. The story still lingers in my mind, it gave me goosebumps.

I was 15 years old when I read this, and it's not the type of stories that teenagers enjoy. No prince charming, and fluff. Just ice cold reality. It is also not your usual werewolf story where abuses are glossed over if not glorified. It is a realistic and mature take on the topic. That's the charm of the plot.

Pacing
★★★★★

The pacing is refreshingly fast. It is a different type of refreshing from Unrepentant, which I reviewed last chapter. But I love it. That's what made the story work. It was one of the reasons why I fell in love with the book, and the author's writings. (At this point, it must be obvious that the author is my favorite, so go check out her books if you haven't)

Characters
★★★★★

EXCELLENT. Sarah, the protagonist, went through a lot. I have to emphasize, A LOT. And that's what made me empathize with her, love her and root for her. On chapter one, I told myself, "She deserves so much better."

On the otherhand, I hate Conrad a lot. I want to stranggle him, step on his Alpha pride and rip him apart. I am certain every reader hate this guy's guts to the core. And that made him an effective villain in Sarah's life.

The other characters are realistic. I love their point of views, their emotions and growth. No one is perfect among them. They have their own flaws and their developments are eye opening.

World Building
★★★★☆

I don't usually give this high rating for non-high fantasy books. However, I have to give it 4 stars. I am tempted to give 5 stars but I have to control myself. Why? Because as I've said, I've read this book last 2016. I have only read the currently available chapters which is only 2. Yet, I still vividly remember the settings that's introduced on the later chapters (which is currently no longer available). Vividly remember! That's three years ago, since I finished reading the story. Most story fades in my mind since I'm a voracious reader (who can read 10 on going novels simultaneously).

Narration
★★★★★

It just hooked me. The reader experience is close to perfection. One, because of little to no grammatical errors. Even though there are a few typos, they don't appear often. The pacing and empathy for the protagonist is also a factor. The description is vivid yet not overly done. The readers don't suffer from out of nowhere head hopping. We are warned whenever there are changes in POV. Despite the multiple POV, it was constant. More on POV: It's like we're viewing the story through the lenses of the character who is currently narrating. They put us in their shoes, their concerns. Whether they are on the side of the protagonist or not. It allows us to understand both factions. And I love it.

Overall Impression
★★★★★

Love it! Love it! Love it! This is one of my favorite stories on wattpad. Actually not just wattpad. This is better than all published books that I've read. It has this lasting impression. It's effect on me did nit decrease at all. I cried like a baby on this story as well. I seem to love books who make me cry.

What I loved the most is the take away. I learned a lot from this book. The reality is that no matter how life f-cked your life, it can still f-ck your life harder. But that's not the ppint. It is motivating, hope giving, and empowering to read--no matter how much you've been through, you can face slap the people who wronged you. Not by revenge but by being better. Actually, the greatest face slap of all times is helping those who wronged you and put you through a lot. That's my point of view, fight me. The story showed me that with the right mindset and ability to embrace work, even if we don't initially want to, can take us to places we never thought we'd be.

Final words: I hope this novel will be made available again. Even just the old version first, it's excellent already. I can't find the complete version on wattpad and other sites. I enjoyed this a lot and I love sharing things that gives me joy--well heart ache as well.

⚠ SPOILERS