Chapter 2. Castaways No More?

Another few weeks had passed. The tension still high between two certain castaways. So much so, that every meal was taken in the huts so they avoided all contact with one another.

It was frustrating for the other 5 trying to get them to settle their riff once and for all, to make things right again. They needed a miracle. Something, anything.

Sadly, they were the most stubborn and neither one was willing to back down. Lovey had been willing to talk things out with help from the professor, but Thurston had barricaded himself inside the supply hut, he now referred to as Fort Knox.

He was becoming increasingly annoying.

At breakfast one morning, the 5 were enjoying pancakes and scrambled turtle eggs getting right down to business and coming up with ideas on how to get the Howell's back together.

" I know we scared them back together once before, maybe we can do it again." Skipped suggested.

" That was coincidence. Making them jealous doesn't seem to work either, or rekindling their proposal. We need something bigger." Professor replied.

It seemed as though they'd exhausted all their ideas and nothing was working.

" If only we could get rescued." Ginger mumbled.

The others all agreed. They were missing home. 3 years away had been both enlightening and depressing. The 7 castaways just wanted off their island.

" Maybe we could try getting off the island? Maybe leaving would make the Howells forgive each other right Skipper?" Gilligan asked his first mate.

" Oh Gilligan- how do you think we're going to get off this time? Of all you're crazy ideas..." Skipper said.

The professor looked up from his plate and cleared his throat.

" Gilligan's right. Maybe leaving is just what we need. I-I've been working on something and I think after all this time we finally may have a way off."

Everyone looked over in shock. Were they finally about to go home? Could this be it!

" Should I go tell the Howells?" Gilligan lit up, glad that they were going home and the fact that one of his ideas would actually come to fruition.

" Not just yet. Just keep it mum." Professor said.

.................................................................

The 5 finished their breakfast, happier than when they first sat down to eat, hoping their escape would work this time.

After breakfast, Skipper and Gilligan headed off with the Professor to look at what he had been working on while the girls cleaned up.

The Professor brought them to a clearing in the jungle showing them what he had been working on. Standing in front of Gilligan and Skipper was a hut. They didn't understand.

" Professor how is this going to get us off the island? It's a hut." Gilligan observes.

" Well- it's not just any hut. I'm building a base for it- combined with the house like structure of our huts we've built, I modified the design to include a special flooring or base. With that I'm attaching some metal and other parts from the old Minnow to create a floating hut like structure that will keep us all safe and protected from the elements until we get into the shipping lanes that will get us rescued. It should be finished next week." He said.

Both Gilligan and Skipper looked on in amazement. This was what they had been waiting for. The Skipper looked around and nodded silently in approval at the hut in front of him.