Chapter Nine

Derick

"Phoebe come on. You look fine!" I repeat for the fifth time this morning.

"I don't like this uniform. Why do I have to wear a skirt? Do you ever get to wear normal clothes to this place?" She whines as she walks out of her room and towards the stairs where I am waiting for her.

"We wear causal clothes on Fridays. If you had read the packet I threw on your bed yesterday, you would know the answer." I replied dryly.

"I read some of it, like the academic guidelines and the courses that are offered. But I stopped reading the dress code section the second I saw the word uniform." She retorted without missing a beat.

Her feistiness took me by surprise the first time I met her. She looked like the type of girl that would have been subjected to bullying in her lifetime but from the attitude on her, I knew there was no way anyone in their right mind would want to make her mad.

When my father told me he got married and that his new wife and her daughter would be moving in soon, I figured I would end up living with a preppy cheerleader type based on what her mother looked like but Phoebe was the opposite. She had to look like her father because she didn't resemble her mother at all. Except for her hair color.

"Derick! Can we go now? I have to get my class schedule from the office this morning so I need to be there a few minutes early." Phoebe called over her shoulder as she jogged down the stairs.

"Yeah. The car should already be waiting for us. Dad told our driver that we had too early." I reply following behind her but as I get closer to the bottom I ran straight into her back.

"Did you just say that we have a driver?" She croaked out as she turned back to look at me.

"Yes, Phoebe we have a driver. Kade and Gage also ride to school with us. This week our driver is taking us and next week their driver will take us. Our parents worked a system out when we were in Elementary school." I replied matter of factly.

"I swear I'm not in Kansas anymore" Phoebe whispers.

"Alright Dorothy, lets get a move on" I say holding a laugh back and moving past her on the stairs

"You understood the Wizard of Oz reference? There might be hope for you yet!" She says in the most normal tone I have heard her speak in since she moved in.

When we reach the bottom of the stairs I grab my bag and turn to hand Phoebe hers, which she takes quickly and we walk out the door. As we approach the car I head for the front seat and Gage steps out of the back to let her climb in, flashing a huge grin when her eyes connect with his and she blushes.

I wasn't surprised yesterday when I found them in the theater room after I got the call from their mother. The twins had been on a mission to get into her pants and they never backed down from anything; I just expected Phoebe to put up more of a fight. However judging by the way both of them were looking at her and complimenting her as she slide into her seat between them,they weren't done with her yet. I just hoped when whatever they have going on ended, Phoebe didn't get hurt. Kade and Gage are my best friends but at the end of the day I know my father will have no issue exiling them from the house.

"And off to school we go." I say turning to look at the three of them in the back seat.

"Hopefully I'll get the classes I want." Phoebe said to herself as our car pulled out of the driveway.