Part Nine

Chapter Nine

It was getting warmer, and Riker was having to get up earlier to go the gym. The one he used didn't have air conditioning, and that meant avoiding warmer times of day. The showers weren't exactly useable either, so he grabbed his kitbag and used the walk home to warm down. He always felt better after a hard workout at the gym, today had been that, he'd hooked up with a personal trainer who was helping him with a pre-tour plan, performing four or five nights a week was exhausting. This was day two, and he felt like death, but in a good way.

He was also exercising to forget, he knew that, and hated it, but it was easier to ignore what happened in the studio than actually process first kissing Nancy Fox, then letting her run riot over his music.

In the cold light of day he had wondered whether that was her plan, discombobulate him and then get her own way. But he knew in his heart of hearts that it wasn't true, they had both been overcome, a moment when they equally let their guards down. A moment that wouldn't happen again. He'd make sure of that.

He lived in a small terraced house a mile from the gym in a fairly central London borough. Close to everything, but with extortionate land rent, pretty much summed up his life. He'd been successful, the barren years for Mark Four had seen him be successful. He could have recorded more, and could have toured more, there was a demand, and he could only hope that those fans came out and supported him on this tour. Either way, he had a good life, he wanted for little. Unlike the others. Chris had managed to get a lot of session music work, but Paul and Ben hadn't had that to fall back on in the quiet years. That was why this had to work. For them. It was their last chance.

Back at home, he showered, his heart rate finally reduced, and he had a light lunch, knowing that there would be some form of food at the practice venue.

The first practice came with a new anxiety. He'd managed to avoid Nancy since the kiss, other than the meeting, and the lift.

He rolled his eyes, to no one, and walked out the front door. He could do this, he could be successful Riker, and still manage to limit her influence on things, that was what this was about.

Josh had found them a converted church, the acoustics were apparently legendary. He looked around a little less optimistic, but he had no reason to doubt Josh, other than Nancy, he'd never made a wrong decision. He hated that he wasn't a hundred percent sure she was a mistake any more. He still wasn't in her camp, but he could appreciate the depth she brought to their work...not that he'd ever admit it.

He was first there, loved that. And was already tuning his guitar when Ben and Paul arrived.

"Nice place!" Ben announced, giving a wolf whistle. "My Nana would officially approve." Laughing he added, "full-on Catholic."

Paul shook his head, "love the way you use religion when it suits."

Ben spun around, "appreciating the beauty of a church does not make any comment about my religion or lack of."

Riker laughed this was what he missed, mindless banter, fun, camaraderie, stretching up to his full height from his seated position, and as he spoke the two men jumped in surprise, "and using an old church to rehearse for the debauchery that touring Britain can be, is sacrilege. I reckon Joseph, the saint this place was named after is rolling in his grave." He paused then glared at Ben, "do saints die and get buried?"

Ben grimaced, "look my Nan is a practising Catholic. I know no more."

Riker tried to stifle as a grin as he pointed behind himself to the mock stage, "get your gear set up, then we can start."