1.

"Man, what the fuck?" Lakeith muttered as he arrived at the door.

"What is it babe?" Maya was coming up behind Lakeith at their apartment door, only to find a big Eviction notice.

"They kicking us out."

"What!? We paid the fucking rent!"

Maya was becoming riled up and began making her way to the landlords door. Lakeith stopped her in her tracks.

"Um...we didn't.."

"..." Maya gave Lakeith a blank stare for a while before letting off a sarcastic laugh.

"What do you mean 'we didn't'?"

Lakeith ran his hand down his face and nervously tried to avoid any eye contact.

"I didn't-" Lakeith cut himself off with a sigh before rephrasing his sentence.

"I used the money for the car."

Mayas' jaw dropped but before she could respond Lakeith rushed to add on to the fire by trying to explain his reasoning behind the decision.

"I figured we could ask for more time. The car is the main thing getting us both to work and with out that we shit out of luck."

"WELL WE BOUT TO REALLY BE SHIT OUT OF LUCK CAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANYWHERE TO STAY!"

"Don't yell at me Maya."

Maya turned to walk to the landlords door hoping that he would be inside. She knocked and waited until the door swung open, revealing the sloppy older man.

"You here to return your keys?" He said with a sly smirk on his sweaty face.

Mike the slumlord was a huge asshole.

"No, I'm here to ask for an extension on the rent payment. Me and my boyfriend are struggling right now but if you give us a month we'll have the rent. Plus you owe us. You haven't fixed shit since we've been living here." Maya was becoming frustrated with the situation the longer she had to look at him.

Mike stood in his doorway, leaning out to see Lakeith further down the hallway watching them from afar.

"Listen, we're all struggling here sweetheart. Y'all gotta get the fuck out." Not a hint of remorse in his voice as he spoke to her.

As soon as Maya was about to reply Mike had slammed his door in her face.

Maya began banging on his door.

"YOU CAN'T FUCKING DO THIS! OPEN THIS FUCKING DOOR YOU FAT LAZY MOTHAFUCKA!"

"MAYA! Maya stop!" Lakeith ran to grab Maya up and headed to their apartment.

Lakeith rushed to unlock the door and carried her inside.

"Listen I'm sorry for being stupid. I thought-"

"It's whatever. I'm not in the mood to argue, I just wanna sleep for a while and figure it out later."

Maya walked past Lakeith and headed for their room, throwing herself onto the bed.

"Maya?"

Lakeiths' rasp brought her back to current day.

"Did you hear me?"

"No, I'm sorry. I'm just..." Maya found herself becoming emotional as she thought back on the past few months of her life.

All of the stress and anxiety that was weighing over her all this time felt like it was finally crashing onto her.