Chapter forty: Dan

*Dan*

Genevieve would hate all of this attention on her.

I know it has faded, and it's important; but still, it's in the back of everyone's mind who lives in this town. It's rare something like this happens here.

Also, it's even weird for Genevieve to miss school, so that's worrying everyone involved with her, even anyone who knows her casually.

She has hardly ever missed any days of school in her years of middle and high school. And the only time she missed days in Elementary school were from sickness, and she took a few days off after her mom died. I think she's missed a day or two in high school, one was because she had a cold that wiped her out for a day, almost two. But she refused to take that second day off. And I mean, refused. She is stubborn. Don't even try with Genevieve, she will win.

She may be running a little late most mornings, but she's never been actually late, and she's rarely missed a full day.

There was one time she got really sick. She usually pushed through any sickness that hit her. But she got strep throat once and had to stay out for one day. And she hated it.

Genevieve is one of those people that likes to stay busy. Even with strep, she wanted to be up doing things, but since it was contagious for the whole day, her dad told her she should probably stay in her room. And that she should rest. But did she listen? No.

Genevieve cleaned the whole house. She even tidied her room that was usually always a mess. It was still "organized chaos" to her dad after, but still, it was tidying for Genevieve.

We only know this because me and Beth went over to bring her work that she begged for so she wouldn't fall behind, by one day. Genevieve was serious about school, she worked really hard.

We just happened to notice the house was very clean on the way up to her room.

Beth knocks on her door and we hear music from inside turn down.

"Come in!" She calls.

We open the door, and there she is, sitting on her bed with a soft looking blanket over her legs. She's wearing a big black sweatshirt that looks old(er), and apparently has a logo for the band 'Rush' on it. Her hair looks different, not like it usually does, which I notice right away, and she's wearing her big round reading glasses.

How can someone look cute while being sick?

"Hey," She smiles and puts a bookmark in a book that's on her lap, then puts it aside. She pulls off her glasses and puts them on top of the book.

"How are you feeling?" Beth asks, putting school stuff on the end of Genevieve's bed before sitting to the side of her.

"I'm contagious, be careful," Genevieve laughs.

"I'll risk it," Beth laughs.

"I'm feeling fine," Genevieve laughs, "I could have gone to school."

"You're contagious," Beth laughs, "You can't go to school when you're contagious."