ten

The ride back to Zayn's was tense. Louis forgot to plug his phone into the aux before he started driving, so it was completely silent except for the tires on the rain-slick road. He couldn't even open the window for a bit of fresh air, because the rain was coming down steadily now. Washington weather, and all of that.

Niall refused to speak. He stared straight ahead and emitted an air of annoyance.

Louis was too nervous to speak. And confused, and wondering if he heard Harry right. Wondering how to handle the mountains of explanations and apologies that were undoubtedly necessary. He was sick to his stomach, knowing he had caused Harry so much pain. Not just today but throughout the years he had known him.

You're, like, the only person on earth who makes him cry on a consistent basis

Harry was too sad to speak. He sat in the back, and through the rearview mirror Louis caught glimpses of him resting his head on the window and staring listlessly at the passing scenery. It was all very depressing.

Louis was beating himself up. He knew there was an obvious solution, a way to make them both happy instead of this horrible self-deprecating nonsense, but it was so scary. The possibility of losing it all was so scary. It nearly paralyzed Louis with fear.

"Loamy! We got you a gift!" he announced as soon as they stepped inside, the door slamming behind them. He chucked the box of condoms at Liam's chest. Those damn condoms. Louis loved and hated them, and it had nothing to do with the condoms themselves, but all the trouble they had just caused.

Liam fumbled with the box before he saw what they were. "What- the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Safety first. Use them wisely," Louis advised, not feeling his usual sense of bravado.

Zayn was laughing, though. Liam was blushing so hard his face was the color of the seats at that 50's diner in Sacramento. That stupid, cursed 50's diner in Sacramento.

The joke didn't feel worth it, for all the trouble that resulted, but there was nothing he could do about that now.

"I like him," Zayn said to Liam, talking about Louis. Then they kissed right there, in front of everyone.

"Alright, well, I think that's your cue to take it to the bedroom," Louis said cheerily, shoving them in the direction of the hallway. "See you tomorrow! And remember, we're only a room away, so we would really appreciate it if you kept it down. Great, thanks. Bye!"

They disappeared down the hall. It was both a gift and a curse, though, because then there were three.

Niall unfurled his sleeping bag on the floor in front of the TV. He was leaving the couch open for either Louis or Harry, which was nice of him. "I think I'm calling it a night too."

"Me too-"

"Hey, Harry, you heard Zayn talking about that trail out back, right? I know it's dark outside, but I think we could find it. Might be nice to check out the big ass trees and stuff before we have to leave tomorrow. Early morning, and all that."

"We don't have to leave 'till noon, actually," Niall added unhelpfully.

"Well, still. A nighttime walk might be cool." Louis knew he had a stupidly hopeful expression on his face.

Harry wouldn't turn to face him, though. All Louis saw was his back. Broad shoulders hunched in on himself like he was self-conscious.

"I'm pretty tired, actually. I think I'm just gonna go to sleep. You don't mind if I take the couch, right?"

"You should definitely have it, because of your back," Louis assured, momentarily distracted. He shook his head. "I'd really like to talk to you, though. Outside. We don't have to walk if you don't want to, but it might be easier, and the trees really are cool..."

"Louis, really-"

"Please. Harry." He would beg if he had to. He kind of already was.

"Alright, fine. Just a short walk though."

"Okay." It would be enough.

&&&