Chapter 13

Two weeks had passed since the incident. I had consumed the two diaries in one weekend after my encounter with Colleen. It was like entering Wonderland, discovering a world that belonged to someone else. It was rather nerve-racking when I got reminded that it was me. I was the main character of a story that I didn't remember.

I paced in my room so much after reading some passages too mind-blowing for me to handle. However, once I was done I wanted to know what would happen next. But this was next. Right now. The girl got into an accident, lost her memory and she was now me.

I didn't know what to do after all that. So I confessed my worries to Colleen who listened to everything without the slightest annoyance on her face. She was patient with me; walking at my pace, massaging my leg which by the way felt so nice. She apparently learned multiple techniques through internet tutorials and I got to say, it worked. I wished she could also massage my headaches away.

In the past two weeks, we met as much as we could at the treehouse. Well, when I could. I would tell my parents that I was with the girls and I would tell the girls that I was home. Was it reckless? Probably but I knew that if I got caught I could always say that I was having some alone time.

In consequence, I distanced myself from everyone except Colleen. I got to learn a lot about her through the diaries and I continued to learn every time we hang out together. She didn't make any move on me and I knew she wouldn't. Her priority was my comfort and my well being even if it cost hers. I could see how sometimes she was restraining herself or she was about to do or say something but froze for a few seconds before moving on like nothing happened.

This Thursday was just like any other now. I lied to both parties and I planned to hang out with Colleen at the treehouse, even if the ladder was still the path to hell but hey, no pain no reward, right?

« I still don't get why we have to do all this homework on the book when we already did that in class » Colleen whispered, sighing.

I chuckled as I passed the door that leads into the hallway.

« Is it me o...or are you com...complaining a lot this week? »

She faked a hurt expression, putting her hand on her heart which made me laugh harder but we were in public so I stopped rather quickly. We continued walking down the hallway not too close to each other.

« What class do you have? »

« One tha...that is going to give me an he...headache »

« So...math » she concluded, smirking at me from the corner of her eyes.

« Did I ha...hate this class before too? »

« Uh...It's a big yes » she chuckled.

I sighed heavily, not surprised by the answer.

« Well, I have calculus with Mrs. Clarke so it's no better. See you later » she said turning into another hallway, leaving me with my loneliness.

I looked up and stopped dead in my tracks. Bella was just a few meters away with wide eyes. My heart started pounding. How much did she see? In any way, I needed to play it cool, as Colleen said. I approached her with a wide fake smile on.

« Hey, Bella! Re...ready for some men...mental torture? »

She kept staring at me, blinking.

« Bella? Are you ok? »

« What were you doing with Colleen Witzel? What did she say to you? »

« I... »

« And don't say nothing, I saw you » she exclaimed, raising a finger before quickly looking around shyly and retracting it.