Chapter 30

« MATT, STOP » both parents rose up, his mother who was the closest tried to hold him back gently. His father had only come forward a few steps before Matt backed away raising his hand in the air groaning in anger.

To the other side of the room, Sarah was on her feet too. She waited with a determined expression. Despite the fact that I knew she was searching every opportunity to fight and it wasn't to defend me, I still felt a warmth in my heart. I almost forgot that some time ago she had been on top of me searching to destroy me.

How things had changed.

Suddenly, Gracie rose up too. Her hand left mine slowly. I felt immediately cold and advanced toward Matt.

« Matt, you knew me before. You knew who I was. Maybe I am not the same anymore. Maybe I changed...but the Gracie you knew loved her and I do too. I can understand it's hard to hear. Just look at her, Matt » he didn't. He breathed heavily « Please » he slowly and I knew reluctantly did. Our eyes met, I had a hard time maintaining his gaze but I had to do it to show him I was serious about his sister « She's not a monster » Gracie murmured, moving closer to him. At these words, my heart flipped.

I had convinced myself half of my life I was. Until I couldn't take it anymore and I worked on myself to know what self-love was. Because what is the point to live if you don't love yourself. Everything you live is worthless and feels empty. It took some time, starting with enjoying an iced coffee by myself wondering if I would like me if I met myself. And then later, Gracie taught me how to love and be loved. Some else than myself wasn't seen me as a monster. I felt seen and understood. I'll never forget how that felt.

« And I'm not either....When I'm with Colleen, I can't think we do anything wrong. I don't ask you to understand right now but think about it....Get to know Colleen maybe? »

« Yeah, she's really nice » Bella nodded. I sent her a shy smile, that she immediately returned.

When I looked back, I caught the slight smile on Gracie's mom's face. Her eyes lifted up to me and my breath caught in my chest but her expression didn't change on the contrary her smile spread a bit before small tears made her look away taking me off guard. Does that really hurt her that much to see her daughter with someone like me?

« Are you ok, Mom? » Matt passed by Gracie and kneel next to the armchair where his mother was, putting a hand on hers. She grabbed it in hers almost like a lifeline.

« It's just... » she sniffled looking between Gracie and me « You two seem to love each other so much » she chocked up, drying her own tears as they fell « Seeing someone love my daughter so much...even if...you're a woman » her eyes put themselves on me « In the diaries, I only had Gracie's side and I apologize for it but I thought it was a bit delusional, a bit one-sided. She loves you so much but what about you. And now... » she hand gestured to me « I see how much you care for her. The way you hold her hand, the way you look at her.....it's very clear »

« I love your daughter » I confirmed, twisting my hand in nervousness.

This time, Matt didn't scoff nor protested. He stayed quietly in his thoughts. Actually, the entire room was quiet until Gracie's mom talked again.

« I almost lost my daughter once I don't want to lose her over something like that. We have a second chance and I don't want to waste it. Come back home, honey » she turned to her daughter « I love you. We love you. We'll learn to understand I promise »

My heart warmed. It was the dream I had with my own family. I always hoped that one day they would step back from their position and tell me that they loved me and that it was stronger than their beliefs. So seeing it happen even if it wasn't to me was still overwhelming. A tear left my eye. Gracie bit her lips as her gaze met mine, I smiled. I didn't want her to think about me in this situation. I wanted her to think of herself, so I just smiled.

She turned back to her parents « I will » they gasped in happiness. They rushed to her and engulfed her in a hug.

When Gracie's dad pulled back he looked at me and took a deep breath « You can stay here too »

My eyes widened. Was it real?