Epilogue

"From the depths of the sea we emerged long ago, seeking the light of the surface. In search of still greater lights, we now send this message into outer space, sealed in a disk. Perhaps one day, we will encounter other intelligent life..."
—Sunken Scrolls 1:22 (5.1)

Three weeks later
Razorback Falls

"Come on, we're gonna miss it!" Natalie bubbled as she twirled around, practically dancing her way into the train station.

Cole wheeled her suitcase behind him, walking at a steady, even pace. "Relax," he drawled. "We're still early."

He lifted her suitcase up by the handle, carrying it up the steps to the entrance as Natalie waited for him at the top. They entered the station together, and Cole breathed in the cold, air-conditioned scent of public transit. It came as a welcome relief from the humidity outside; Razorback Falls got uncomfortably hot in the afternoons.

"Can't wait to go back," Natalie said.

"You was only here eight days."

"Yeah, but I ain't a homebody like you," she teased. "I've got big dreams, big plans."

"So did Octavio, and he's in prison."

Natalie lightly punched him in the shoulder. Cole set her suitcase down in an upright position and sat on a bench. She sat down next to him.

"You really quit?" asked Cole.

"I dunno."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, the NSS is done for," Natalie answered. "The city's new official Department of Protection and Counterterrorism is gonna replace it, and they look to be the real deal. They just announced Captain Cuttlefish's head adviser position."

"I'm sure the DPC would hire Agent 3 in a heartbeat."

"No! I'd rather die than let the government tell me what to do!"

Cole laughed. She hadn't changed her mind at all. Perfectly in character for her, he thought to himself.

"But I guess I never really left," Natalie continued. "Once Cap'n lets you in, you're a part of the family for good. It's not like I had to formally tender my resignation or anything like that."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. If Old Cuttlefish needs me again, then I'll know."

"I suppose he's already got his hands full tracking down those missing baby Zapfish."

"At least the Great Zapfish found its way back," Natalie remarked. "I'm more worried about Callie."

Cole nodded in agreement. Apparently, Callie had taken off after the confrontation at the Plaza. There one moment and gone the next, Sheldon had told him at the hospital. Hard to keep track of her, or something like that. Even with Marie on the case that following week, nobody could find her. She had seemingly disappeared yet again.

"Hey, you're basically a national hero, now, Cole," Natalie prodded. "I bet the DPC would hire Agent 4 in a heartbeat, too. We could live together at my place!"

"I'm no hero. At least, I don't wanna be. I ain't about putting my life on the line like that ever again—we got oysters to raise."

"How are you not bored of doing that every day?"

"Just as the world needs you kicking butt at Turf War, my family needs me helping out at home."

"Don't you wanna see Marie?"

"...No."

"But she likes you."

"Nat, she's, like, ten years older than me."

"No she ain't! Ten years? Don't ever say that to her face or you're gonna get hurt!"

Cole laughed again. During his two-week stay at the hospital, Marie had visited him almost as often as Nat had. Marie had also been incredibly concerned about his punctured lung, even after the doctors affirmed that it was no big deal. Between searching for Callie and visiting him in the hospital, Marie had been doing little else, Cole realized.

The station's PA system announced boarding for the train to Inkopolis Plaza, and Natalie rose to her feet. She grabbed her suitcase and looked up at Cole.

"Guess this is it," she remarked, with a hint of sadness in her voice. "Off to the city, gonna make it big. For real this time."

"I'll come visit you," he assured her.

"But you hate the city."

"So come visit home, too. Come visit me."

Natalie leaned in for a hug, plopping her head onto his chest. "I'm gonna miss you," she said.

Cole wrapped his arms around her and rested his chin on top of her hair. "Miss you already, Nat."

"If you go missin' next time, I'll come find you."

"Please."

And with that, Natalie let go of him and boarded the train. She looked back one last time and gave Cole a small wave.

"Bye," he mouthed back with a wave of his own. He went for the station exit, mentally listing off his chores for the rest of the day when his phone buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocket and read the screen.

New messages!
Marie: When's the next train to inkopolis?
Marie: I've got something you need to see

1:28 p.m.
Cole: just tell me what it is
Marie: No can do
Marie: Get over here

¤ ~ § ~ ¤ ~ § ~ ¤ ~ § ~ ¤