15. Misunderstandings Are Common, But Causes Tension if Not Sorted Out Properly

It had become a cool night when the train pulled into the station, the City having been drenched by the several rainstorms that missed the two Soulmates completely. Now flush with refreshing air, the City was made all the more colder with winds that whipped around and threatened to knock people over; it swept up bags and coats, upturned umbrellas, anything that wasn't tied down, yet the threat of more rain never came.

Basked in the white light of the Main Concourse, Bryce and Dylan stood awkwardly against a closed shopfront, people passing around them on their way home. Dylan nervously offered Bryce to stay at his flat rather than go back to his. Dylan's flat was only about two minutes away via public transit; he offered it as means of repaying the times he stayed over at Bryce's flat.

Bryce didn't accept.

He didn't accept because he didn't trust himself enough to maintain self-control. The remaining twenty minutes of the train ride had primarily consisted of Bryce mentally restraining himself from hugging and kissing his Soulmate until Dylan's lips were bruised and his body wrapped up in an embrace, one Bryce wouldn't release him from.

Dylan didn't pry, and accepted his answer without questioning it. The two whispered polite goodnights, and departed back to their respective flats for the evening.

After dropping most of his things, Dylan walked to his mother's flat. He would catch his mother right before she retired for the night, and, finding a very tired Piper in his chair, sat on the ottoman while he pet her. "So, how was the seaside?" she asked, bringing over a mug filled almost to the brim with tea.

"Sorry to drop in on you so late," he whispered, taking the tea and bringing it to his lips.

"You couldn't have waited until tomorrow?" she asked teasingly, sitting down across from him. "Sweetheart, it's okay. I want to know how it went."

Dylan smiled wearily. "Okay. Uh...what do you want to know?"

"How was the seaside?" his mother repeated.

"Grey," he replied, chuckling slightly. Dylan looked down at the warm drink in his hands and felt the skin-tingling heat radiate through the ceramic mug. "Just like you said."

Mrs. Matthews sipped a glass of water. "Of course I'm right," she said, smiling jovially. "Did you do anything interesting?"

Dylan's eyes glimmered. "We sat on the beach for a good while; Mom, it was so relaxing and wonderful. We walked along the Palace Pier for a while. Got...fish and chips for lunch. We went to the former royal residence, too." He placed down the mug and returned his hand to petting a now almost asleep Piper, who's eyes were only slightly open; her tail thumping hard against the seat's armrest.

"And...?" his mother asked. Dylan momentarily forgot what she was referring to. "Final verdict?" she clarified, knowing her son's intentions. With his back facing her, Dylan turned and tried to suppress a sheepish smile. The smile began spreading before he looked away, hand dropping from the dog and landing in his lap.

That feeling of fluttering heartbeats – that wonderfully warm feeling that could send chills up his spine, from when he and Bryce discovered the two were Soulmates – filled his chest, and his Glow began beating gently through his shirt; he began to fidget slightly.

"Yeah...I do," he whispered in response.

Mrs. Matthews leaned forward and placed the water cup on the coffee table. Sitting back and crossing her legs, she asked quite smugly, "It was kind of funny, wasn't it?"

Eyes still away and smile beginning to dissolve underneath a wave of exhaustion, Dylan nodded. "It wasn't funny for me."

"In the beginning, it usually isn't," his mother replied, smiling, with Piper suddenly sneezing. Leaning forward again, she placed her hand on Dylan's shoulder, causing him to look at her. "You look happy, sweetie. And that's what's important to me."