Dangerous Debutantes

They rode north around the tip of Delaware Bay as a blood-red beam of light illuminated the eastern horizon.  William kept a tight grip on Miss Atwell as she stared over his shoulder, her swirling curls masking her expression.

They  only slowed when they neared the cluster of white oak trees surrounded the small farm from earlier.

"Quiet," William ordered, pulling his mount to a halt.

Miss Atwell opened her mouth but he put his hand over it, shaking his head.

Edmund dismounted ahead of them, reaching up to help the younger Atwell sister down.

She slid from the horse, her knees buckling as she landed.  Edmund caught her around the waist, pulling her close to his side.

The younger woman looked up with him, the fright in her eyes slowly fading to admiration as her rescuer pulled her along.

Worried that Miss Atwell would steer the horse back toward Baltimore if he dismounted first, he continued to guide them through the woods.

Miss Atwell's breath warmed his hand as she watched the trees in silence.  She was tense in his arms, her shoulders quivering as if looking for the slightest chance to make her escape.

The trees faded into the sandy beach and William breathed his first sigh of relief.  Still holding her tightly to his chest, he slid from the saddle.

The Eurydice rocked with gentle movements off shore.  Edmund withdrew a match and a small mirror from his pocket, using them to single the ship.

A flash of light signaled back, and a rowboat was lowered into the water.

William pulled Miss Atwell forward, but she twisted her face away.

"I can walk on my own," she protested.

"Respectfully, Miss Atwell," William said, holding her tighter to his side, "I fear you will run at the first opportunity."

She scowled and William grinned, knowing he was right.

Waves sloshed against the sides of the rowboat as it neared the shore.  

Edmund lifted Miss Lottie into his arms and carried her through the last several yards of waves.  He passed her off to a few of the ship's crew members and pulled himself into the rowboat.

Miss Atwell watched, her tight fist clutching something tied to a string around her neck.

"I promised Charles that I would protect you," William reminded her, gesturing to the boat.  "This is the only way."

She looked at Miss Lottie, bobbing in the rowboat, and then back in the direction they had come.

William couldn't see her face, but he could feel her shoulders shudder with a silent sob.

"Farewell," she whispered to the breeze.

Taking that as permission, William slid one arm under her knees and lifted her into his arms.

The cold ocean sloshed against his legs and he lifted her higher to avoid getting her wet.  The movement brought her face close to his.  Miss Atwell tensed and looked away.

He settled her into the boat and she immediately reached for her sister, pulling the younger woman under her arm.

They rode in silence to The Eurydice.  Once aboard, Captain Roberts approached, his face dark with anger.

William held up a hand to silence his protests.  "These are my guests.  They are coming with me."

Captain Roberts drew a deep breath and gestured toward the center mast.  "Looks like we both picked up some strays," he muttered.