Prologue

Kelly was bound to a chair at her wrists and ankles with thick plastic zip ties. Struggling against them had resulted in deep cuts on her pale skin. She wore only a tank top and underwear. At least, the monsters had allowed her some modesty in her tiny prison, a room barely ten feet to a side. The only piece of furniture was her sturdy wooden chair. The walls and floor were grey concrete. No windows. Only one door in and out. No chance for escape.

Limp dirty hair hung down to her chin, hiding her tears. And her dread. She had both in spades. Also, her ass was numb from sitting in this position for so long, and she had a splitting headache from crying herself dry. Kelly had no idea where she was or how she got here. The last thing she remembered was falling asleep in her hotel room with her son by her side. Poor Thomas. Her two jailors wouldn't answer any of her questions.

By her best estimate, she'd been locked in here for six hours— maybe more, but probably less. She'd been offered no food and minimal water. Thus, they had not been happy when she needed to urinate. She'd been allowed to pee in a bucket while one watched. She'd been appalled, but it was better than sitting in urine. Afterward, she returned to her chair, and fresh restraints were added tighter than before. She hadn't tried to overpower her captor during her brief bout of freedom. There was no point. The men were twice her size. Besides, they came in one at a time while the other man stayed outside the locked door.

With nothing else to hope for, she prayed she'd wake up from this nightmare with her little Thomas still sleeping next to her. Cuddling him tight, she'd smell his hair and run a finger over his smooth cheek. But it was not to be, the door opened, and the brown-haired guard entered her room. He slammed the heavy metal door behind him, causing the lone light bulb to swing back and forth as demonic shadows danced on the walls.

The men were nearly identical, tall and muscular with close-cropped hair and chiseled jaws. They weren't twins, but she'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart if not for the color of their hair, one brown and one jet black. Brown-hair removed the cap from a plastic water bottle and held it to her lips. She drank deeply until he pulled it away. Water dribbled down her chin. She did her best to wipe it off on her bare shoulder. He took a step back and stared down at her.

She asked him the same question she'd asked every time they'd entered her room.

"Where is my son?"

"He's safe."

She suppressed a smile. She'd finally gotten any response from him. "Do you know who I am?"

He nodded.

"Do you know who my father is?"

He nodded again to Kelly's surprise.

"Then you know what he'll do when he finds you. Let me go, and I won't tell him what you've done."

The man shook his head.

"I don't know what you plan to do to me. But whatever it is, you'll regret it. There is no place you can run where he won't find you."

Brown-hair laughed.

"What's so funny?"

He pointed a finger at her.

"Why am I funny?"

"Because you didn't take your own advice."

"I don't understand."

"You'll find out soon enough."

"No. Tell me now."

Brown-hair shook his head.