Chapter 3

Emma smiled at her mother. "Jake moved in, so it's only a matter of time before you two get married, and I'll be his step-daughter, right?"

Mary's heart resumed beating in her chest. "Yes. I guess that's true."

"Then what's the big deal? It's not like I want him to pick up tampons."

Closing his eyes, Hunter groaned loudly. He'd been thrilled for Jake to move in and balance the hormone level in the house. Living with three women must have been miserable for a pre-pubescent boy.

To Emma, Mary said, "It's not a big deal, but I'd like to see what you pick out. And besides, I need to pick out a new wrap. I'll make some time later in the week. I promise."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Fine."

Lindsey stormed back into the room from upstairs.

"Hurry up, Hunter. Emma. Get your stuff. It's time to go."

Hunter grabbed his pack off the table and headed to the door. "You don't have to get your panties in a bunch."

"Shut up, twerp, or you can walk. Are you ready, Emma?"

"Actually, I'm going to get a ride with mom." Turning to Mary, Emma asked, "Can you drive me to school?"

"What?" Mary said as she checked her emails before she left in case there'd been a last-minute cancellation on her schedule.

Lindsey shook her head. "Why make Mom go out of her way?"

"Because I need to talk to her about something."

"Probably about a boy."

"No." Emma sneered. "I'm not like you."

"Yeah, right. I saw you staring at Noah Wilson in the hall, all wide-eyed and drooling."

"You're lying."

"Whatever." Lindsey nudged her brother towards the door. "Come on, Hunter. We're going to be late."

After they had left, Emma smiled at her mother. "So can you drive me?"

"I guess. It doesn't look like I have much choice. Let's go, or I'll be late for my first appointment."

They made their way into the garage in enough time to see Lindsey pull away. Hunter smiled at his sister from the front seat, and Emma stuck her tongue out at him. Mary let it pass. It was a healthy sibling rivalry. At times, she wished she'd had a brother or sister to share the misery of her tumultuous upbringing, but on the other hand, she wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. Emma climbed into the SUV and set her pack at her feet. After putting her own bags in the back seat and her coffee in the cup holder, Mary started the vehicle and backed out of the driveway.

Once on the road, Mary asked. "What did you want to talk about?"

Emma turned off the radio. "Maybe you should pull over. It's kind of important."

Mary brought the car to a stop. "What's going on, Emma? You're worrying me."

"Sorry." Emma shrugged. "But I wanted to make sure we were alone. I wasn't sure if Uncle Jake was still upstairs getting ready."

"He was leaving soon to visit Uncle Bobby at the hospital."

"Oh."

Mary turned to face her daughter. It wasn't like Emma to go to such theatrics. Or to be boy crazy. It was more likely that Noah had harassed Emma in some way. Boys can be such jerks at that age. She placed a hand on Emma's knee. "What's wrong, honey? Is this about that boy Lindsey mentioned?"

Emma wrinkled her nose. "God, no."

"Because if it is. You can tell me anything."

"It's not." Emma shook her head. "He's cute and all, but that's not what I want to ask you."

"Then what is it?"

"It's about Uncle Jake. I keep on dropping hints, but you never take the bait."

Mary's pulse quickened. She could see only one direction for this conversation to go in, but she prayed that she was wrong. "What hints?"

"Are you going to make me say it?"

"Say what?"

"Fine. You know I heard you two talking that night after Uncle Jake got in the bar fight. I snuck back down the stairs because I was worried about him. I know I shouldn't have but then . . . but then I heard you two talking."

Mary gripped the steering wheel to keep her hands from shaking. But that didn't stop her voice from quivering. "W... W... What did you hear?"

"I heard that Uncle Jake could be my father."

Mary's world turned upside down. The secret she'd fought so hard to keep hidden had jumped from the shadows and was dancing in the streets. Mary's hand flew to her chest like she was trying to keep her heart from flying out of her chest. Maybe it was. It wouldn't surprise her to find the beating organ in her hand.

"It's not what you think." Mary pleaded. "It was the one time. I loved your father."

Emma grabbed Mary's hand. "Mom, it's fine."

"It's not fine."

Emma squeezed her fingers. "You're human. You had a moment of weakness. I get it."

"No. I'm not human. I'm your mother."

"Who obviously did something she regrets. I'm not judging you."

"I judge myself."

"Stop. I think there is a lot more going on with Dad than you're telling us— and you don't have to talk about that if you don't want to. But I do have a right to know who my father is."

Emma was a very perceptive girl. Mary liked to forget that at times. It made life simpler until it caught up with Mary. Sometimes for the better, like with the Lindy family that bullied Hunter. Mary guessed it was time to come clean with her daughter even though the thought scared her to death.

"Yes. I slept with Jake once. He was there for me when I really needed someone. It was a mistake that we both regretted. But I guarantee you that your father is your father."

"Do you know that for sure?"

Mary told Emma the same thing that she'd been telling herself since Emma was born. "Yes. I see so much of your father in you. His smile, his sense of humor, the way you both bite your lip when you're nervous. I'm positive that you are Tom Morgan's daughter."

Emma stopped biting her lip. "One hundred percent?"

"Ummm . . . "

'I thought so." Emma dropped Mary's hand and grabbed the strap of her backpack. "Mom, I have a secret too."

Mary didn't think she could take anymore, but she steeled her resolve. "What's your secret?"

"I had a DNA test done."