The Best Woman - Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Callie

So there is no way I can go on denying that I'm nervous about today. Dayton has already reassured me a million times, but I can't sit still. "Callie," he says, sighing. "Lucy loves you and so will her friends...eventually. They just need to get to know you."

Lie. Her friends wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire.

Since Dayton proposed to Lucy a month ago all I've heard is wedding, wedding, wedding. I never, ever thought he'd want me to help plan his wedding, even if that's kind of my job.

He's my best friend so I assumed he would want me to take a front of stage role rather than behind it – though I'm not sure which is worse. My job in the wedding should be to make sure he gets there on time, sober, with both eyebrows, and have the rings.

It was Lucy's idea, of course. Dayton would've never hired me, or anyone else for that matter, to plan his wedding. Lucy's sweet but it sort of puts me in an awkward position to have a friend as a client. I joined my aunt's event planning company – A Flair in the Air – when I graduated university two months ago, and although I've worked with her and planned plenty of weddings before, this is my first solo job.

"I'm the odd one out, Dayton. I'm your friend, and I'm not one of her bridesmaids, so why am I going again?" I point my finger at him. "And you're the one that said they're a little intense, so this is all your fault. Shouldn't I be hanging out with you and Bentley anyway? It's sexist." I'm joint best man/woman with Bentley.

"Lucy wants to spend more time with you; I've told you that. I'd mean a lot to me if the two most important women in my life got along."

I hate it when he does the emotional blackmail thing.

"We doget along. I love Lucy. Hell, I was the one that helped you pick out the ring and plan the proposal for Christ's sake!"

"I know, and I love you for it, now I want you to help with the wedding. Please, Cal-Cal?"

I narrow my eyes. "You are sobeing my bitch when I get married."

Raising his hands, he smirks. "You got it."

"You're my bridesman. You owe me."

"I'll be whatever you want me to be... If you can get a man first, you have tragic taste in men."

I swat his arm with the back of my hand. That was absolutely uncalled for. "Do you want me to talk Lucy out of this?"

"No, I want you to put on that gorgeous smile and go help my fiancée plan a wedding that I've got no say in."

"You want say, you come with me today."

He puts his hands on top of his blonde head and stretches his legs out. "No thanks. I think I prefer to just turn up."

So would I.

"Fine, I'm going. Wish me luck."

"You won't need any luck."

I have a strong feeling I will. Lucy found it hard at first to watch me and Dayton have such a strong friendship, but now she understands our dynamic. But her friends don't, and I really can't deal with bitchiness, which is the exact reason I'm best friends with a guy.

"You better have a real good present for my birthday this year, buddy," I say over my shoulder as I leave the house.

I close the front door and turn around to step into a chest. A lovely chest, one belonging to Bentley. Oh dear, a very angry looking Bentley. His midnight blue eyes are murderous, and his forehead is crinkled with a deep frown.