The Best Woman - Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Bentley

Of course, when I leave Callie to head towards my lightweight brother, Samantha is standing there. Granted I shouldn't have let myself get that close to Callie, but we haven't actually done anything wrong.

"Go on," she snaps, folding her arms over her heavy chest, "tell me what you're doing with her?"

"Nothing," I say. "We were talking. Sam, I'm not doing this every time I'm in the same fucking room as her."

"You were going to kiss her."

Running my fingers through my hair, I reply, "No, I wasn't."

I wanted to, god, I wanted to. But I wouldn't. I may not be the best guy in the world, but I don't cheat. "When are you going to let this Callie thing go?"

"When youget overher."

"I'm not under her."

"Oh, come on, Bentley! Do you think you're fooling anyone? I don't understand what you're doing with me."

Neither do I right now. "We used to get on," I say, because it's true. At first, it was great, she was cool, and the sex was good. As soon as I introduced her to Callie things started going down south – and not in the good way.

Sam is insanely jealous. Me and Cal have kissed once, months before I even met her. I can't go there with Callie anyway, it would be messy, we clash and she's best friends with my brother.

"And why don't we now, Bentley?" she snaps, sticking her hip out on one side.

"Because you obsessed with Callie."

She chokes on her words, her eyes widening. I'm in trouble here. "I'mobsessed with her? Are you fucking with me? God!" Tangling her hands in her hair, she tugs. "I hate who I've become with you."

Callie walks past us, giving Sam a wide berth, and heads over to my wasted brother. I wish I could walk away from this, too.

"Let's go outside," I say, tired of creating a show for everyone else.

"Is there a point? You're in love with someone else."

"Sam," Callie says.

Oh, great plan, Cal. The best thing for the situation right now is Sam not seeing Callie at all and here she is trying to talk to her.

My girlfriend's eyes narrow to the point where I can only see the black of her pupils. She stares Callie down like she's trying to murder her with a look. I clench my hands to stop me moving, my instinct is to step in front of Callie.

Sam isn't going to get physical, though. She's not a fighter.

"Oh, get lost, Callie. You've done enough!"

Callie stands her ground, back straight, lips pursed and begging to be bitten. "Look, you don't like me and that's fine, but nothing is happening between me and Bentley. He's with you."

I understand that I should be pleased she's backing me up. All I feel is a heavy weight in my stomach. Nothing is happening between us. I'm messed in the head, I swear. Why can't I forget about Callie and work on a relationship with a great girl? Things would be all right if we could get back to how it was before.

"You're not saying anything he hasn't already but for some strangereason, I don't believe either of you. I can see."

I scratch the base of my neck, feeling a headache coming. "Cal, thanks but..."